Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MCS Got Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a great deal. You will use it. If you get grillgrates, you can put pellets right on the grates and add a hint of smoke to fast cooks. Plus they keep the grill cleaner.

Comment

Wow! Great buy for you tbob4 . Have fun with your new Weber!

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Skipl! I cooked last night on the Santa Maria. I had 4 steaks and two of us to eat - we split one. Two were cooked very rare so I will be making fajitas tonight. I think that will be it's maiden voyage.

Let it be known that I'm taking credit for this MCS acquisition.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank goodness. Now I can tell my wife it really wasn't me! Can you imagine she called me spoiled?

You're going to be using it much more than you thought you would, tbob4 , I predict.

Your wife is going to be especially happy in the wintertime when you can grill much of the dinner, keeping the mess out of the kitchen and cutting way down on cleanup time in her kitchen.

I use my Summit gasser all the time, just as many folks here have said, for quick cooks and quick sears. Get a set of Grill Grates and you'll be so happy not to see any flareups and have tasty food to boot. I remember Meathead saying that flavorwise, for short cooks there is no difference between cooking on a gasser or cooking with charcoal/wood. I cook over charcoal when I can but for those fast, healthy, tasty grilled meals, you can't beat a gasser for ease of use and quick cleanup.

Enjoy that new grill. You got a heckuva deal. Now go count your wife's shoes and $ee how many more are added in the coming month$. It will all balance out in the end. (spoken by a wife who has both smokers/grills and a formidable shoe collection )

Kathryn

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahahahahaha - That's the problem. I have more shoes than she does, too!!! I do agree that she will be happy with the clean kitchen. I make things a mess when cooking in two places. I don't tend to clean the kitchen in a timely fashion. My BBQ area is pretty clean. Thanks a ton!

Click image for larger version

Name:	9AC7AE0F-FD06-43B6-8D87-64B8451FBCB5.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	758934 tbob4 , your thread inspired me to do burgers again tonight..... lol.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Fantastic! My wife said today that after the next couple of meals she really feels like a good burger. I will definitely be going for it. Thanks - and great photo.

As others have said. For a gasser, grillgates are really helpful. For searing, if you flip them flat side up and close the lid, the "fins" on the bottom pick up more heat and the flat top surface can easily get to 600F+ even on a weak gasser.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks a ton! I have grillgrates on my Santa Maria. I love them. I think I may pick some up for this, as well. Did my first cook on it tonight. Was surprised by a couple of things. The temp went way down with the lid up. I am used to searing on the Santa Maria with no lid. My veggies for fajitas turned out fantastic. The bell peppers really held their consistency.

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Charcoal gets hotter with the lid open. A gasser gets cooler quick with the lid open. Seems backwards doesn’t it?

On weak gassers with grillgrates fins up there is so much heat radiating away that it’s hard to cook at all unless the lid is down.

You should have enough power to be just fine though.
        Last edited by Polarbear777; October 21, 2019, 04:21 AM.

Wow, raising another family member at your advanced age? I've tried so hard to stay to a single fuel - tons of different charcoals and chunks of quality wood.

The only 'gasser' I have isn't one - it's a Black Stone griddle. You'll have to follow this up a LOT and let us all know WHY to add to my MCS quotient.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I really did it for one reason - to sear in quantity when I cook for groups. I previously used the Santa Maria to do it, but tending to a couple of fires at once is time and fuel consuming. The Ace mega-sale got me. I played around with it tonight and the results were good. However, I have a LOT to learn in this arena.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here