Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Blunder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ultimate Blunder

A repost. Hope pictures show.

Ok, here's the story. On father's day my daughter and family came over. Simple cook on gasser. Burgers, dogs, sausage and some vegetables. After dinner I did what I've done before ran the grill on high to do a burn off. I guess time got away from me. I go out and I see 2 of the knobs are on the deck. Black smoke is rolling out. I had no way to shut with no knobs. So I shut at the gas intake. I have a bulk install so no tank. Once that is done I go to open the lid, I couldn't. Cook box warped it shut. I am in a bit of shock to say the least. Oh, dome thermometer pinged. After it cooled down, I was able to open the lid, it was still rubbing against the firebox. However, the expansion contracted to allow it to open. I've attached some pictures so you can see the damage. IMO gone. My wife encouraged me to contact Weber. I was reluctant maybe because I felt defeated. She called. The results was an email as it was escalated to a team that deals with idiots like me. I was asked to provide a series of pictures which I did. Below is the response. I missed their call and I got back in touch. As you can see that wanted me to rebuild. I explained that was beyond my capability. He mentioned he can could give me names in my area that could do this. I asked what would that cost. He said @200 - $300. I said I can't do that. IMO no assurance it would work the same. He said the parts would be about $150 value. I explained I was going to purchase another grill. He proposed I purchase the grill and provide a photo of the receipt which I will do. Once that happens, Weber will send me a check for $150. I'm going to replace with Weber Spirit E-330. Price is $749, so $600 with Weber's check. I've checked, the regulator I have will work and the Grill Grates should fit. I'll use the Genesis cover, even though it will be a bit large.
    ​​​​​​​So that's it. I think I deserve the Darwin Award.
    Evaluation: From the photos it appears that you had a grease fire(s) causing the cookbox to get over 1200 where the cookbox will melt and deform.
    Resolution: Replace the cookbox, manifold, igniter kit LED harness, magnet, door hardware, and knobs as a 1 x courtesy Before cooking
    1. Scrape out cookbox of any debris into the grease tray.
    2. Remove the slide-out grease tray by pulling the tray out of the cabinet.
    Remove excess grease with a plastic scraper.
    3. Remove the catch pan. Check for of grease in the disposable drip pan that lines the catch pan.
    Discard disposable drip pan when necessary and replace with a new one.
    With the POP of a new Weber grill we will send you a rebate check for $150.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220621_125101.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	1245212 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220621_125118.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1245213 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220621_125335.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	1245214 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220621_125312.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1245215 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220621_125230.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1245216 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220621_130426.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1245217 Click image for larger version

Name:	20220621_125342.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1245218

A good warning for all gasser owners. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

That's exemplary service from Weber! And I've started setting timers for things like what you did so I don't space out and forget. Not that I ever have burned up a stove by melting an aluminum sheet pan because I forgot to turn off the burner... nahhhh

Comment

This story could have ended much worse. I’m glad all the damage is confined to the grill. Like rickgregory I set timers now for several different things I do. I know I can forget something important I’ve left running, I’ve seen me do it. I’m glad it didn’t end with you being eligible for a Darwin Award.

Comment

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          in an attempt to console me, my wife said it didn't cause damage to the deck or the house.

Seems like a sneaky way and a lot of trouble to go to in order to get your wife’s OK to buy a new grill, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Congrats on the E-330!

Comment

• RichieB
          RichieB commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha Ha. Yes this has the side burner and a sear station. Looking forward to it but I wish it was under better circumstances.

• Jessterr
          Jessterr commented
          Editing a comment
          RichieB Yeah, definitely a scary situation and an unexpected hit on the wallet I’m sure, sorry to see it happen. Thankfully no one was hurt and no additional damage. Thanks for posting this, I don’t use my gasser very much and actually had no idea this kind of thing could even happen, so it’s good to be made aware of it.

• WayneT
          WayneT commented
          Editing a comment
          You’ll love the E330. I’ve got the Special Edition series with SS side tables and front cabinet panels. It’s a sweet gasser.

RichieB this is a very familiar story:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...10#post1080749

I turned my Genesis II E-410 on to preheat before a cook, went back in the house, got the steaks or whatever it was ready, and then walked back out 10-15 minutes later to billowing black smoke. While my knobs did not melt or burn off, two of the aluminum Grillgrate panels were destroyed, and one end of the cast aluminum firebox was warped such that once I opened the grill, it would not close again.

I blamed it on a grease fire trapped under the full set of Grillgrates. I had cooked chicken wings a few weeks earlier, and I think a lot of grease was on and under the grates.

I've had Grillgrates for years, and Weber gas grills for 20 years, and NEVER had anything like this happen until last summer. I was lucky the damage was not as extensive as yours. I was able to clean the grill out, and I was able to bend the warped end back in enough to where the grill will open and close now. I no longer preheat on high unattended, and also I leave one or more of the Grillgrate panels off most of the time, so that a fire cannot get trapped below the cooking grate like that again.

Here is where I show what one end of the firebox looked like after the damage, after I hosed all the debris from the fire out of the grill:

Well, as many of you know, I've got a 2 year old Genesis II 4 burner, but don't use it much since getting the flat top last year and the SNS Kamado this year. Last night I decided to use it out of sheer laziness, to reverse sear two NY strips and grill some pre-steamed artichokes. It's good for cooks like that for sure, and I
        Last edited by jfmorris; June 30, 2022, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Hadn't you also done a batch of kalbi as well, not long before the grease fire? I remember it because I had been lusting after your kalbi photos and then you posted later on about the fire. Everyone is interested train wreck stories I guess, as long as no one gets hurt.

Anyway, yours had a pretty happy ending. Because of you, I check my GGs to make sure there's a place for the heat to escape.

Kathryn

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc you have a better memory than me, or re-read that thread! I had forgotten it was kalbi, not chicken wings, that provided plenty of residual grease that had probably congealed down inside the grill.

I will only run the full set of Grillgrates if I just have to have the space, otherwise I am running one Weber grate, and 2/3 a set of Grillgrates on that grill, with the extra panels on the shelf underneath if I need them.

I've not done kalbi since last summer, due to the price being high.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I think I remember that delicious-looking kalbi more than I remember the grease fire, jfmorris.

K.

I think you got lucky even though it cost you a grill. It could have been much worse.

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Bummer, but like the others glad to hear it was only the grill that was hurt. Your planned replacement is a nice grill.

Comment

Like everyone has said you are lucky it was not much worse. I use Alexa to set a timer for me when I leave the traeger running.

Comment

Any crash landing you can say you survived is a great outcome. Congrats on the gasser!

Comment

I'm just glad the house didn't burn down but I'm sure you must feel so disappointed to lose a valued cooker. Sorry that happened, and don't be too hard on yourself because we've all done similar things.

Comment

Glad you didn’t have it close to your house if it has vinyl siding. That could have been a worst-case scenario. Gratz on the new E330.

Comment

Grease fires take no prisoners. Yours is another in a long line of stories I've heard or read about with gassers (and other smokers) catching fire. Every time I read something like this I feel like rushing out and checking my slide-out grease tray and drip pan. If I wasn't still in my jammies, I'd probably do that right now.

My neighbor had a heckuva grease fire with his new Napoleon grill--he had grilled on it for about 6 weeks, never thinking to clean it. It scared the beejebus out of him, shooting flames up several feet on his covered deck, but did no damage. He came over the next morning and asked for tips on how to keep a gasser clean. I gave him brushes, cleaning supplies, etc. and a bit of a tutorial. Since I have a Weber Summit gasser and didn't know the ins and outs of a Napoleon, I directed him to their website for ongoing maintenance tips.

And yes, I always set a timer when I'm burning off residue. I burn it off right after I remove the food, even if it means I have to get up from the meal to go check on it.

Setting a timer has saved my bacon (and my gasser) on many an occasion, for sure. Plus even after I shut off the gas, I or my husband go out after the dishes are done to check to make sure all the dials are ACTUALLY OFF. We started this because one time I thought I had turned off all the dials and one was left on low (6 burners on the Summit), which I discovered about an hour later. That really scared me and I recruited my husband to join the Gasser Vigilance Team.

Kathryn

Comment

Glad this worked out okay for you. As others have said, it could have been much worse. I watched a house in a former neighborhood burn to the ground because the owner started the grill on the deck and then went inside and fell asleep on the couch. I learned from someone else's mistake that day.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh my gosh, what a terrible story. Best case scenario would have been that the gasser stayed on until the tank ran out unless it was hooked up to the house gas line. But that's the worst case scenario. I hope no one was hurt.

Kathryn

• Steve R.
                        Steve R. commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Luckily, no one was hurt in that incident, fzxdoc. The gas grill somehow fell over while running unattended.

• fzxdoc
                        fzxdoc commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Glad to hear that it was only property damage, Steve. Still it's a bad outcome. Stories like this help to keep me on my toes when I use my cookers, for sure.

K.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here