Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When do you decide your Weber is done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do you decide your Weber is done?

I bought a 7 year old Genisis II 3 burner w/sear and side burner 7 years ago. The grill grates were worn at the time so I simply used the grillgrates I had purchased for use in a Traeger (a long and sad story that ends up with a PBC). Just placed those on top.

We live in Charleston SC and grill year round. Typically, 3-5 per week unless we are smoking.

The Weber gets used hard and put away wet. Rarely cleaned. Never deep cleaned. Yeah, in retrospect, not a good plan.

I need to replace the grill grates, the flavorizer bars, the igniter and possibly the burners. The lid liner shows rust, too. I have no idea of what the grill box looks like.

The outside looks decent.

So when do you say enough and invest in a new/different grill? How much do you invest in repairing an older/worn unit?

Thanks in advance!

If I can do the repairs properly, and it is an easy as tightening a few screws for new parts, I’d say up to 50% of the cost of new. If I’d be essentially getting it back to like new condition, maybe a bit more.

if the rust is bad enough that it will make future smokes more challenging because I can’t control the airflow, I’d probably take what parts I can and toss the rest. You want a unit that will perform properly at the end of the day.

if the rust is surface only, there’s ways to fix that.
    Last edited by STEbbq; December 18, 2021, 11:48 AM.

Comment

I have a 25 year old Genesis I rebuilt a couple of times and it keeps on keeping on. I don't know what prices are now, but I don't think I've spent much over $200 bucks on it over the years. Except for the GrillGrates.

Comment

There are a lot of aftermarket parts for Weber gas grills. I would evaluate it based upon the cook box and how bad the lid liner is. If they are still solid (after cleaning well to evacuate), I’d buy stainless aftermarket flavorizer bars, look for an aftermarket ignitor, probably buy genuine burners, and decent Weber or aftermarket SS grates. I had Y2Kish Silver A that I used for close to 20 years and replaced flavorizer bars, ignitors, and grates in a couple times. Then sold it for like $80 to someone stoked to get it. I was ready for something with North/South burners or I would have kept it.

Even $200-300 in parts is far cheaper than about anything of comparable replacement quality and yours is probably built better than most of the new ones, but I get MCS too and have made many upgrades for the fun of having new and shiny. SS grates are probably going to be the biggest cost in rebuilding.
        Last edited by glitchy; December 18, 2021, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like a sale candidate or toss it to me. That’s a lot more than I’d spend on a 14 year old unit.

• smokenoob
          smokenoob commented
          Editing a comment
          atlpbc That’s a whole different question, you didn’t mention MCS was involved……in that case, get the Masterbuilt 560!

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, when MCS is involved who ya kiddin? Give in, smile & enjoy it.

What CaptainMike says. I took over a 15 year old Genesis Platinum from a friend a couple years ago and rebuilt it from the wheels up. Cost me no more than $250 (which included a rotisserie motor). Works like a champ.

Take care of it and it will take care of you.

Comment

Yer cooker is done when it has holes in it & it limps. Fix it up & love it.

Comment

Head over to Home Depot or load BBQ supply and grab some parts
            Like FireMan says until the Shell starts collapsing or has holes in it I keep replacing parts
            For the cost of a new burner and or grates it can be worth it
            Only downside is take the old parts with you to match up generic parts can be a pain to fit

Comment

Well, a couple of things here.

The Genesis II has not been around for 14 years. The Genesis II line came out in 2017. Maybe you are talking about the original Genesis line? If so, I'll throw out a few tidbits based on my 2002 Genesis.

1. The warranty on most parts was 10 years, but the warranty on the COOKBOX was 25 years. Parts of my 2002 Genesis are still in fact under warranty, even going into 2022!

2. If you fix it up, it ought to be good for another 14 years.

In 2017 I replaced the burners, ignitor, drip tray assembly and a few other items in my 2002 model Genesis, and outfitted it with a set of Grillgrates. In 2019 I got a Genesis II 4 burner, and in 2020 gave my Genesis to my daughter and her new husband. I expect it to last them many more years.

Basically, my opinion is that $100 or even $200 in parts is always cheaper than buying a new Weber grill, if you are happy in other respects with the size and features of the grill.

Oh - Grillparts.com has parts that Weber may no longer sell for older grills.

One way to figure out the age will be this:

- Do the burners run front to back, with control knobs across the front, or do they run side to side? The moved the knobs from the side to the front, and changed burner orientation in 2011.

- What material are the side tables made from? Thermoset (a gray plastic) was used up until about 2006, and they went to stainless side tables in 2007.
              Last edited by jfmorris; December 19, 2021, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• atlpbc
                atlpbc commented
                Editing a comment
                You are correct on the age. I was just going with the story I was told. Research shows it be somewhat newer. The burners run front to back and the controls along the front. There is also a sear control on the left side between #1 and #2. I just need to pull things out and have a closer look. Hopefully, I won't need to replace the burners.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                atlpbc if its less than 10 years old, which a Genesis II would be, then all the burners ought to still be under warranty. I think if the flavorizer bars are porcelain coated steel, they have a 5 year warranty, and 10 years if stainless, depending on the model. Pretty much a 10 year bumper-to-bumper warranty on all but a few parts.

Keep the Weber buy a pellet grill.

Comment

• atlpbc
                atlpbc commented
                Editing a comment
                I will never buy another pellet grill after my first experience with a Traegor. 8-)

Like others have mentioned, parts are available as are aftermarket. My dad just replaced the first Weber he bought when I was a kid with one of the fancy stainless Webers. The red Weber he had, it’s probably close to 35 years old but it’s still living, just down at the lake house next to my first Weber, which is 16yo. He’s replaced parts as needed, the wood side table is now Trex.

All in what you really want to do. Give it a deep clean, see how the inside is then make a decision. If you end up replacing grill grates, you could really amp it up with actual Grill Grates and then what is needed and be set for some more years.

Comment

Good afternoon, I am in the market for a new grill and am looking at another Weber... my current Silver B is 19 years old, rotted on the frame and having a tough time lighting. If a new Weber holds up like this one did, I'm all in..lol.... I have replaced parts on it for years... now is the time, I think. Its like an old blanket and hard to part with... I guess Im looking for suggestions....

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome to the posting side of The Pit.

​​​​​​​May I suggest that you start a new topic. Some people look at topics and don't visit again, so you are potentially losing helpful comments.

When you start that new topic, it would help if we knew how many you might cook for and how much you want to spend. And do you want to stick with gas?

I'd edit this post to say something like you have started a new topic and would like replies to be posted there.

MCS! MCS! MCS! 🕶
                I change my vote.

Comment

This is why i bought a new Weber Genesus..
                  I do belive i bought it 2008
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20220311_223719.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1188144

Comment

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Man, yer a tough hombre! 🕶

In the spirt of our culture the need for MCS and helping our friends spend "their" money get a new gasser.

Comment

I'm into fixing stuff instead of making more landfills but there comes a time when you have to weigh the practicality of fixing a dying beast. I will say my decision to buy my Blaze was influenced by their lifetime warranty.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here