Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Melted down my Genesis II E-410!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melted down my Genesis II E-410!

Well, as many of you know, I've got a 2 year old Genesis II 4 burner, but don't use it much since getting the flat top last year and the SNS Kamado this year. Last night I decided to use it out of sheer laziness, to reverse sear two NY strips and grill some pre-steamed artichokes. It's good for cooks like that for sure, and I run the steaks up on the warmer rack until they hit about 120F, then sear.

So, I went out, lit the burners on high after flipping two grillgrate panels to the flat side for use in searing steaks, then went inside to prep the artichokes and steak, which had been dry brining since lunch. I was inside for 10-15 minutes.

I went outside to black smoke billowing out of the grill, and opened the lid to find the grillgrates had flames along the front and back edges, and there was an apparent grease fire UNDER the grates. I killed all burners, shut the lid, and went inside, and ended up cooking on the stove top using a 2-burner griddle that has a grill side for the artichokes, and my Lodge 12" for the steaks, after slicing the steaks from 1.5" thick down to about 0.75" thick, to get them done in a skillet.

This morning I spent an hour or two messing with the Genesis II. It's a mess. The right side of the grill body warped from the heat of the grease fire, as did the two Grillgrate panels at that end. I used two pieces of a 2x4 and a couple of C clamps and drew some of the warpage out, so that it doesn't scrape when the lid closes. I've pulled everything but the burners out for cleanup. There is fire and smoke damage to the painted finish on the end and front of the grill dome.

I rarely cook on the grill, and try to keep it clean, scraping and brushing the grates after each cook. To be honest, the only greasy thing I've cooked since the last deep cleaning was one batch of kalbi, and that's about it. There really was little to clean out inside to be honest today. I guess it burned up. The Kalbi was grilled a couple of weeks back on the end where the grill body is now warped, so I imagine there was grease from the beef ribs down in the body.

I hate to say it, but I feel like the damage to the grill body is a lot worse due to the fact I was using the Grillgrates and not the stock cast iron grates. The heat trapped under the grillgrates led to the firebox getting a lot hotter than it might otherwise have done.

I need to see if the rotisserie will still work - I have some doubts about it mounting properly if it mounts on the right end of the grill, as there is a lot of outward bowing of that end of the body.

Frustrating. And I think I will start using the original Weber cast iron grates more often if and when I use this grill. I didn't do anything I don't normally do, as I normally preheat for 10-15 minutes on high, but let this be a cautionary tale to everyone running Grillgrates on a gas grill - to be watchful when preheating and maybe pull the panels off and clean out grease after something like kalbi or a big mess of chicken wings.

Right now the grill is torn apart in the yard, with rain coming down. I'll deal with it more another day.
    Last edited by jfmorris; August 21, 2021, 10:42 AM.

Wow, that is certainly not something I’d expect to happen.

Comment

I can't see the pictures!

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Ditto 1

Yeah, we want melted down genesis pics! 😁

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        +2 . . . ditto, ditto

That’s a bummer Jim. As not a huge GrillGrate fan to begin with, that’s probably enough info to make me happy I keep looking but haven’t ordered any for my Genesis yet. You might call Weber, they might replace the body. Also, they and some of the places on Amazon make SS grates for Genesis grills, beats the porcelain coated cast iron.

Oh and I’m not a GrillGrate hater, just not a gushing fan, they have their place and certain pluses or benefits, but when I started trying to use them as full everyday grates is when I decided I like them a lot less.

Comment

Oh no, that's a real bummer.

Comment

Look, I know you're experienced, but I think we need to review. This is not what we mean when we say "Fire up the grill!"
          Last edited by rickgregory; August 21, 2021, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Certainly saddenin, an frustratin, mebbe perplexin, even

As long as yerself , Family, an property are intact, I can breathe easier, Jimbo!

Comment

• Richard Chrz
              Richard Chrz commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto.

That is pretty rough Jim. I’d definitely give Weber a call and see if they can help since it is pretty new.

And no pics?!

Comment

Wow Jim, that is not good news. Interestingly, I just started using the grill grates on one side of my Napoleon, cuz I bought em & you just had so much to say about em. I felt bad that I had put the money into them & didn’t ever experience the value in em. I’v e tried & tried. You have now given me to think about goin back to what I have done in the past. Especially since I really like the stainless grates any ways & do have a personal problem at least mentally, keeping the GG clean.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Grillgrates are good for a lot of things - mostly for preventing flareups, or increasing searing potential on some grills. I like them on my kettle for doing a full grill 1-zone setup and not burning the crap out of chicken or burgers, but am rethinking using a full set on the gas grill for a bit.

Well, that stinks. I suppose you could call Weber about the warped fire box ... but I'm thinking that they might be less sympathetic than normal since non-weber grill grates were pretty much deeply involved in the cause of the problem. Ditto (in reverse) for calling Grill Grates. That said, I'm a little surprised that a grease fire could generate and sustain enough heat to warp either of them ...

Here's hoping you get'er put back into some semblance of working order soon.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, I think I've tweaked it back into submission enough to be usable. The lid wasn't closing properly initially, it was that warped on the right side. I'm probably not going to bother Weber about it for now, and chalk it up to a learning lesson, and use the stock grates for a bit.

Dang, that sucks.

Comment

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Ya took the words right out of my mouth...

I used a gasser at a rental house at the beach over the 4th of July. I decided to test it out before I put the GG on the grill that I brought from home. Grease fire! After the grease fire, I decided not to turn up the gas on high, and it didn’t really cause a grease fire, so I was able to cook the food on the grill with the GG successfully.

I have no real good point here. Other than I’ve had a grease fire too, but I was expecting it and mitigated it. Luckily I didn’t ruin my GG.
              Attached Files

Comment

Jim...Maybe you have SIL that NEEDS a good used Weber after you give it a little more TLC. THEN WATCH FOR THE SALES COMING FOR END OF SUMMER!!!!!!!

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nah. The kids can buy their own grills going forward! This one will still work, and I don't use it enough to justify spending money on one again. I'll never find a Genesis 4 burner for $399 again either.

Ok ok - unfortunately, I took no photos until after tearing the grill down and spending time with two 2x4 blocks and 2 6 inch C-clamps. I was able to pull enough of the bowing out that the lid/dome no longer hits it when closing, so that's a good thing. It was bowed out at least an inch more than this initially.

This is the right side of the grill AFTER 30 minutes messing around with blocks of wood and clamps.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5934.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	1080905

The other side for comparison - nice and straight of course. Thankfully the rotisserie mounts to THIS side, not the warped side. The spit rod just spins in the U notch at the side that is warped. I'll have to check that it reaches properly now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5935.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	1.05 MB ID:	1080904

And the front of the dome on that side. This might clean up with Barkeeper's friend. I'll try it anyway.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5939.JPEG Views:	0 Size:	843.1 KB ID:	1080903

All the grates, flavorizer bars, heat shields and other stuff is in a big pile to be scraped with a paint scraper after I soak it in a plastic bin of hot soapy water. I think a couple of the Grillgrate panels may be too warped to ever interlock properly again.
                Last edited by jfmorris; August 21, 2021, 03:38 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Panhead John I had a big tray of steak and artichokes in my hands, and was pissed as heck at what was going on, hence no pictures of the conflaguration...

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I bet scottranda would have figured out a way.

• scottranda
                  scottranda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Panhead John haha. Luckily, I was just testing the waters in the grill at a rental house and I knew it was 82% likely to have a grease fire. Got my 🔥 picture!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here