Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Genesis II SE-335 - Talk me out of it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Genesis II SE-335 - Talk me out of it

OK, I know you enablers won't really talk me out of it. Midwest weather sucks and I have two grills that need cleaning and/or reconfiguring after every cook (replace drip pans, vacuum, move grates, load fuel, etc.). None of this is hard, but when it's 0-20 degrees outside it kinda stinks at times. I like the SmokeFire and WSCG, but really thinking I miss the gasser for Winter and windy days (a gasser can be positioned a little, well really a lot, closer to the house to block wind).

So, I've been heavily contemplating a Genesis II SE-335. This particular model because of the sear burner, stainless grates and black porcelain finish. In my past experience with the Memphis Pro, a stainless exterior is actually a pain to clean in comparison as the porcelain cleans so much easier AND matches my other grills. I can go several cooks without cleaning it more than scraping down the grates. In the Winter, it would be turn a couple knobs, push the ignitor and go back inside while it warms up. I can clean it on the rare nice weather days.

Anyway, I've also looked at Napoleon and Saber.. If any of you have a compelling reason, please share as to why one of those would be better. Weber support has been top notch. The Genesis should be nicer than my Spirt's were as well as get hotter and have less flare ups, right? I was really thinking about Saber, but the big recall they had makes me question their quality. As well, I'm concerned that they don't really have a 'low' setting. Napoleon really just doesn't have anything local to me and I'm not sure what would really make it better than a Weber? Especially in the $1000 price range where they are made in China vs Canada.

Those of you with Kamados, Kettles, WSM's, Stick Burners, etc. in addition to gas grills how much do you still use your gasser? Is a Genesis II really that much better than a Spirit? Seems like the better BTU's burners and heavier construction is going to let it get hotter, faster and stay more consistent?

No. Don't do it. (I tried).

Comment

I have a kamado, a flat top and a gasser. I use them all every week. With Weber's quality issues aside, I think I would buy another Weber without question. My only question is size on this cooker, will it be large enough for your needs?

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        If they made a 2 burner Genesis, I’d be looking at that. I don’t see doing huge cooks on gas. It seems even two zone would have quite a bit of space.

I have the E335 in SS. I use it a lot during the cold winters here on Lake Erie. It works fine and very convenient. Like you said, light it, get it to temp and your ready to cook. Porcelain may be easier to clean. I changed the original grates to grill grates and they're the best investment I made.

Comment

• BarbecueBob
        BarbecueBob commented
        Editing a comment
        I second JOE E comments. I have a Big Green Egg and a Weber Genesis S-330.The Weber is ideal for quick cooks without having all the hassle of loading fuel etc. especially in winter; ideal for minute steaks and evenly pounded (marinated) chicken breasts.

The S-330 also has the sear burner like the SE-335 has. Within 10 minutes you can be up and running for a quick cook. I probably use the gas grill more than the BGE for -during the week- quick grilling.

Think Pellet Grill, think Traeger, Pellet grill, Traeger.
      Never use gas or charcoal again: cooking with wood just tastes better
      Versatile barbecue cooking: hot and fast, or low and slow, the Traeger
      Precision temperature control: The Digital Pro Controller rocks
      and of course PBR.

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m not sure if I’ve heard of Traeger, are they the company that did the ‘Tastes like gas’ commercial?

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        I think so, but my short memory
        er . . . what was the question?

I agree with Huskee . Don't buy it Your Family and Friends with think you are better person if you brave the cold weather with your current cookers that require to be outside longer...or they might think otherwise.
      Last edited by Skip; January 12, 2021, 06:43 AM.

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        They just want fed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	10E6A8CB-326C-49EE-8E69-8404EF7FC263.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.10 MB ID:	972777 I also say don’t buy it. I have an older three burner Genesis and very rarely use it. Only about once a year with the rotisserie. For really quick cooks in any kind of weather I have a Char Broil Grill2Go mini gasser. Heats up in a few minutes and gets screaming hot for searing. Platinum medal on the free side review. A snap to clean too. Just over $100.

Comment

I bought this exact model earlier this year and love it. Didn't think I would use the side burner much but it has come in pretty handy at times and the stainless seems to clean easy.
        I bought it because my wife likes to cook outside too but doesn't like messing with charcoal or wood fires. She said it's one of the better gassers we've had. I will say I think it's a bit of a gas hog but for us it's been a nice investment.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you feel it performs better in cold and wind than other gassers you've had?

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          glitchy it does better period. It heats faster, gets hotter and seems to hold temps better. But my old gasser was a very old well used 310.

I think you should get the Genesis, but for a purely reason - I know you will provide us with great reviews and write-ups of its strengths and weaknesses! Go for it!!

Comment

• carlscan26
          carlscan26 commented
          Editing a comment
          What he said

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL guys. I won’t promise anything with a gasser. It would purely be foe super quick cooks and when the weather really sucks...which seems more often than it doesn’t in Iowa.

I'm completely utilitarian on things like this (other stuff.... not so much). So, a) how much do you grill outside when the weather is bad now and b) how many times do you want to, but don't because you feel it's too cold, etc?

IF the difference is large grab a gas grill. If not, don't or buy something less high end that's easier to justify in ROI terms. The latter assumes the difference between, say, a spirit and genesis is material to you. If not, do what you want.

Comment

I love using my smokers, but I use the gas grill more in the wintertime especially--but mostly I use it as a sear station. On occasion, I'll cook a pork tenderloin, kebabs, smashburgers, or some chicken on it. The reason I use it more than the smokers is that I do a lot of sous vide/searing (once or twice a week) and I like to quick cook smaller chicken breasts for lunches (chicken salad, etc.). I also cook all my bacon on it.

So I use my gasser more as an oversized skillet--used more for searing and for quick cooks of thin lean meats that can dry out with slower cooking approaches. And I use it when convenience is the major consideration. Plus, it still allows me to cook outdoors, which I love.

Think of the times when you could use an oversized skillet to get all the cuts of meat done at once. That's how often you'd likely use a gasser. You already have several other (more flavor-producing) toys for your "real" cooks. But for searing and quick smallish cooks, you can't beat the convenience of a gasser. With a quick 15 minute warmup, you'll have a great searing machine. A snappy way to get all that Maillard flavor onto your plate.

Kathryn

Oh and P.S. I use the two-zone option all the time, so get one large enough to have a place to shelter your food while sears are going on.
          Last edited by fzxdoc; January 12, 2021, 09:22 AM.

Comment

I used to have a pellet grill and after a few years I moved to charcoal. I have a SS Genesis with a sear burner and grill grates. I use it primarily for short cooks to where smoke flavor is not important. Things like hot dogs, cheap burgers, toasting buns, veggies etc. Using the grill grates flat side up is great for smash burgers. I often reverse sear steaks on it (with the flat side of GGs). That way I'm not using a bunch of charcoal for a 4 minute sear. So in short, get it!

Comment

We use our gasser all the time our BKK being the special occasion cooker.
              Its nothing special, a $200 Home Depot generic brand so not a lot invested unlike the price of Napoleon and Weber.
              Napoleon's two manufacturing plants are about 15 minutes from me in Brampton.
              No side burner, Ignition button broke years ago but if you want instant gratification and a meal cooked in a certain time grab a gasser.
              It doesn't have to be the top nut unit.
              Forgot....Vermont Castings make a pretty affordable, durable gasser available up here anyway,
              maybe worth a look see.
              Last edited by smokin fool; January 12, 2021, 09:22 AM.

Comment

I have to ask something else... I get the allure of smoking (duh). But if it's 20F and I just want to grill a steak... why not do it indoors?

This probably sounds more judgmental than I mean it to, but it's like some folks are allergic to using their kitchen. I get it in decent weather but going outside in cold weather (and here, cold usually means rain) to grill a steak etc when you can do it indoors feels kinda silly. It's not like a gas grill is going to give you that smoky flavor or anything.

Comment

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Unfortunately, I don't have an externally venting fan in the kitchen. I think it should be illegal to build a house without one personally, but it's rare to find houses built here with them. It's on the todo list if we ever completely remodel the kitchen or custom build a home. I don't mind a little food smell, but whenever I've tried cast iron indoors it's not just a little.

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ahhhh... yes, the lack of a fan would be a big negative. In that case, I'd look at a gas grill too. I've thought of it but winter often means rain here as well as cool weather and my patio isn't at all covered. So between searing inside and living with some smoke and standing in 38F rain... it's inside for me.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You nailed both reasons: indoor smells that tend to linger, especially in a wintertime-closed home, and the smoke that results from real-deal searing in a CI skillet. Plus the fact that I can only fit two to four pieces of meat in my CI skillet whereas on my gasser with Grill Grates, I can sear all the pieces at once.

Kathryn
                  Last edited by fzxdoc; January 12, 2021, 04:00 PM.

The one complaint I’ve heard about the Genesis (with zero personal experience) is that it has very little room for rotisserie cooking larger roasts even with the grates removed. Dunno tho.

Comment

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have a rotisserie for the WSCG and don't use it enough to justify buying a second for a gasser. That is great feedback though. I could see where the space could be limited, it's not an overly tall cook box.

• Rod
                  Rod commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is correct. Even with removing the grates, a regular sized whole chicken scrapes across the flavorizer bars.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here