Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas grill choice for son?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas grill choice for son?

I'm thinking of getting a gas grill for my son for his B'day early March. He lives in South Lake Tahoe and doesn't have a garage, but could store in carport or shed over winter; I'm guessing carport because he likes to cook year round. I really don't want to spend more than $350. I think a side burner would be nice, and option to add rotisserie as well. Here are a couple of models that might fit the bill:

Char Broil 3 burner Tru Infrared

Cuisinart Deluxe Four-Burner Propane Gas Grill with Side Burner

Do any of you have experience with either of these; would you recommend; are there other similar type gas grills I should consider in this quality/price category?

Thanks in advance for your help with this!

I've been pretty impressed with the hands on feel, and thoughtful designs of the Cuisinart stuff in the big box stores lately. Char Broils have always been a good value in the price range you're trying to stay in too. I would guess either would be just right as long as he takes care of it properly, otherwise I suspect they will rust away within 5 years.

Comment

The first grill I ever had was a Char Broil. I used it for about 4-5 years until my wife got me a Weber gasser. I then took the CB to the lake house and we just go rid of it a year ago, which would have made it 20 years old. I live in the high desert, so it’s dry, but it was left uncovered all these years and still worked. I probably could have replaced the burners and cleaned it up a bit to get it working better, but my dad brought his 30-something year old Weber to the lake house as well. So, with two Weber’s, the CB was done.

Comment

My son has the Char Broil three burner you mention. I had a two burner for a while. He loves his. I loved mine. The Tru Infrared really does work. Built well for the price point too.

Comment

I had a Char Broil gas grill as well with the infrared. I had it for several years and was a pretty decent quality. I loved that infrared burner! I did a couple of rotisserie chickens on it and fed some family members. We all thought it was the best chicken I ever did. I can definitely recommend it! If it’s in the budget, I’d recommend getting the rotisserie for it also. I was very happy with that grill over all, in addition to the infrared feature.
          Last edited by Panhead John; January 10, 2021, 10:21 AM.

Comment

My 2 cents. Buy a Weber. Bit more money, but good quality, great product support and easy to rebuild. I had a Char-Broiler when I first got married...it was an inferior product. Will never buy one again. Also, would not bother with a side burner. Most of the time they are hardly used. Avoid the extra bells & whistles.

Weber Spirit II, two burner would work fine as the first gasser for a young man. I still have my Silver A from 20 years ago and it is going strong. Let my son use it when he got an apartment when he got out of college.

Amazon.com: Weber 44010001 Spirit II E-210 2-Burner Liquid Propane Grill, Black: Garden & Outdoor

Comment

• Timbo54
              Timbo54 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a Weber Genesis Gold (2005) 3 burner. I use it as an oven with a 1/4 steel plate to bake fish, hot dogs, smash burgers etc... I 'm happy as to not heat up/ smell up the house . The rotisserie works great for chicken. It doubles as a flat top too. Parts are readily available. I think this would be a great starter if you were to find an older model and refurbish it for your son. Good luck with you decision.

• TripleB
              TripleB commented
              Editing a comment
              Timbo54 - my Silver A, like jfmorris is somewhere else going strong and right now I'm using a 2005 Weber Genesis Platinum that I got from my neighbor who discarded it after buying a new Weber Genesis. Totally rebuilt it and it works like a champ. Love Weber gassers.

• treesmacker
              treesmacker commented
              Editing a comment
              TripleB I was able to get a Weber Spirit II E310 for LESS money... see my post below...

Thanks!

Pellet Grill, Traeger.

Comment

I was looking this past fall at the char- broil and Spirit. To me, the Spirit just didn't have that Weber feel to it. I stumbled upon a Napoleon Triumph and got that one instead. No regrets, it's a nice grill.

Comment

Hi all,
                Thanks for all of your help with this. Here is how this is happening:

Today, we went to Walmart to look at the Cuisinart version I mentioned above. They had some, but all were in boxes, so didn't get to see an assembled one. I'm sure it would be a good value if it is built anything like my Cuisinart 360 griddle.

Next, we had to go to Home Depot for something and I decided to just see if they happened to have the Char Broil model I mentioned above. They didn't, but there were these Weber Spirit II gassers on the BBQ clearance isle; an assembled 2-burner and 3-burner models on display and also in boxes. The 2-burner was LP model while the 3-burners were NG. The 2-burner was priced $266 and the 3-burner $240. I did a quick search online and found NG to LP conversion kits for $55. So... I purchased the Weber Spirit II E-310 NG for $240 ($479 on Weber site) - brand new in original box. I'll order the conversion kit and have this nice gasser for my son at just $295, assuming the conversion works.

So, has anyone here done a conversion like this? Seems simple to me - just change the orifices and screw the LP regulator hose in place of the natural gas hose. I'd like to know before opening the box if anyone thinks this is a bad (or good) idea.

https://bbqfuelconversions.com/shop/...front-controls

PS... I know this would void the warranty per what Weber says. I don't think that is a big deal as the Webers are repairable and parts are readily available.
                Last edited by treesmacker; January 13, 2021, 11:30 PM. Reason: Corrected Weber site price from $529 to 479

Comment

• treesmacker
                  treesmacker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mark V Glad you didn't hurt yourself. I was lucky not to kill myself. Hit the tree and broke my knee and pelvis. Also, was lucky to fully recover, albeit with some hardware in my knee; it took me a good year for the recovery. BTW, I never could do those moguls either. It is fascinating to watch those Olympic skiers fly through them.

• jerrybell
                  jerrybell commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I wanted to say, buy a Weber, you or your son won't be disappointed but you seemed to have a couple other brands in mind and were getting some good feedback from other owners of those. Good to see this is where you ended up. I have the Weber Genesis and it sits out through all seasons and weather types and just keeps on going.

• treesmacker
                  treesmacker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Update... my son took the Weber Spirit II E-310 home and did the conversion from NG to LP. It worked out fine and he cooked up three ribeye steaks for his Birthday. He's HAPPY!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here