Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New gasser advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New gasser advice?

Hi all!

I was hoping to use the Pitmaster hive mind a little bit with a very important decision I'm going to need to make soon.

I need to figure out what to do about a gas grill.

Ok, here's the situation. I currently do most of my cooks on my Pit Barrel Cooker and/or Vision kamado grill. I'd say easily 75% of my cooks are on these two cookers. We love the flavor profiles of both and use them whenever we know we have the time to do so. With that said, we don't always have time and utilize my Weber Genesis 330 for quick cooks.

Now, my Weber's innards have been getting pretty bad lately. I was getting ready to replace everything with new parts when a recent storm (I'm in Nebraska) blew the grill over and really busted up everything I wasn't planning on replacing. Manifold, buttons, propane tank gauge/holder to name a few. I mean, it's pretty messed up now.

I decided to price out parts for replacement. Depending on how I do it and who I go through, I can get everything I need for under $250. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to do it. I have had this grill for about 6 or 7 years and it was used when I got it. Is it time to just move on?

I was thinking if I just spend a little more money, maybe I can get something new. It doesn't need to be huge. There are only 4 of us and we usually utilize the gasser for quick cooks (burgers/dogs/steaks/chops/etc..). Usually, if we have company over, I am making everything on the PBC or Vision anyway.

So here is where I need a little help. What should I be looking at? I'm thinking I'd like to keep my budget around $400. It doesn't have to be big, but I'd like decent quality. Stick with Weber? Go after a Char-Broil commercial (pretty good review on the free side)? Grab one of those Fuego Elements?

Oh, I completely forgot the most important part of this equation! My wife told me to "Just buy something"! Whoa...I feel like I need to jump on this.

Thank in advance!

Happy holidays everyone!

Dennis

Something to be said for stainless steel. 8 years old, a bit of elbow grease - and she looks like new again.
    This grill is a Jackson. Made in Abbotsford BC, Canada. 10 year warranty on the burners, and no issues yet.
    Attached Files

Comment

• dtresca
      dtresca commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking grill!

I suggest moving on to a pellet grill. Traeger Timberline 850 is my next upgrade.
    I like the set it and almost forget it cooking features of a pellet grill. But most important is the great food produced.
    Actually, all cooks produced are good to great.
    BTW, all pair well with PBR.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Sear on a pellet grill, all I can say is Grill Grates. Yes, sir, they work.

• dtresca
      dtresca commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate the recommendation, but I'm not quite ready to go the pellet route yet. Do love the PBR comment though!

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      as much as I love my MAK, and as well as it can grill and even sear under some circumstances, a pellet grill is not economic for a quick grill even with grill grates. Yeah I can set to grill temp, walk inside and prep meat and it's at grilling temp by the time I get out, and yes the grill is turned off safely and the pellets burned out by the time I'm done eating... but with a gasser, and your meat prepped the night before... you're cooking in 5 minutes, and done when you're done.

I had a two burner Charbroil Commercial for a few years. Loved it. Long story why I do not have it anymore. Had nothing to do with the grill. My son has the three burner version and loves it. Just my two cents.

Comment

• dtresca
      dtresca commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I've heard really great things about these. The write-up on AmazingRibs is pretty good, too.

Get a Weber Spirit II. Little gasser, perfect for 4 people. Under $400.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      That is my recommendation.

• dtresca
      dtresca commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, that's what I'm looking at if I decide to buy and stick with Weber. Thanks!

I had a Weber Genesis Silver A 2 burner, made in 2002, and replaced the burners, ignitor, and lower grease catch pan about 2 years ago, and upgraded with Grillgrates. Made it like a new grill, but I picked up a Weber Genesis II E-410 4 burner for $399 on clearance in January 2019, and gave the 2 burner to my daughter and her husband after she got married this may. It's still going strong.

I guess I am pointing out that Webers can last a LONG LONG time, and are great grills. That 18 year old Genesis is still under warranty on parts of the cooker - the body had a 20 or 25 year old warranty back then! And I have no issues finding parts e
    If you pick up a new gasser, I personally recommend another Weber, even if its a lower end Spirit II 2 or 3 burner. All their new gassers have a 10 year warranty, and while I do not believe the construction matches their older grills, they should hold up better than most.

If the body is in good shape, you just have to weight repairing the old one ($250) against buying a new one, and what you get for your money. Unless you find a sale at your local Home Depot or Lowes, the only one under $400 is the Spirit 2 burner grill. A Genesis 3 burner will be a good bit larger than a Spirit 2 burner, but if you are only using it to sear some steaks or cook for 4, that's not a huge deal. I cooked on a Genesis 2 burner (about 350 square inches) for 18 years! A new Genesis will run you a lot more than $400.

I personally don't feel like the other brands you will find in the big box stores for under $400 will hold up or last as long.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      TripleB it amazes me how many folks toss Weber grills that are probably still under warranty. My brother in law got rid of a Silver B 3 burner without telling me - tossed it to the curb and got a new Spirit 3 burner. I would have taken it home and rebuilt it if I had known.

• Sonoman
      Sonoman commented
      Editing a comment
      I am about to re-build my Genesis 1000...purchased in the early 90's! It doesn't get as hot as I would like sometimes for searing. This re-build go-round I am having trouble finding parts from Weber but there are plenty of Chinese aftermarket vendors on Amazon. The porcelain top and aluminum body are still in great shape but some of the frame is getting rusty and the bottom tray is rusty. I worry about getting a new (non Weber) grill then having trouble finding parts later on.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Sonoman on my last rebuild of the 2002 Genesis, I had to get several of the parts from grillparts.com - I think the burners were genuine Weber, but the bottom tray and frame that holds the drip pan were after market, and work just fine.

My frame was not necessarily rusty, but I masked off the porcelain areas and repainted the entire frame plus the cast aluminum lower body with Rustoleum high temp grill paint - made it look like a brand new grill!

I'm kind of a buy it for life sort of guy. Of course its foolish to think any sort of cooker will last that long without something having to be replaced or fixed, but I too vote for Weber gassers. I have a $2300 Summit stainless that has been a bloody workhorse for about 7-8 years now. I had a very expensive DCS before that and let it get way from me. I had a grease fire that destroyed it and was in a similar place as you are now. The Summit replaced it and I'm so glad I made the move. It's well thought out and easy to maintain. The sear zone alone can achieve 700* with Grill Grates.

I realize a Genesis is not a Summit but I think the attention to detail and the way they build all of their gassers probably carries over. For the money and value, I strongly suggest considering the Weber.

Comment

Broil King Baron. I have the 5 burner model, and I absolutely love it. The 4 burner is reasonably priced as well. Or the Char-Broil commercial.

Comment

• dtresca
        dtresca commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll check it out. Thanks!

I looked hard at the Fuego, especially with the griddle insert, but there's a lot of complaints about rust within a year. I still think they look so cool and take up so little space, I wish they made a full stainless version. Have you considered a Blackstone griddle? You can grill with it, but also do things your other cookers can't. They are fairly cheap and often on sale, and the walmart ones have a built in lid.

Comment

I too have the Weber Summit Stainless. I have had a couple of these over the years. This is not in your budget but I would stick with a Weber when it comes to gassers. Although, I have read nothing but good things about the Broil King so I do not think you can go wrong there. Weber has hit some bumps in the road recently with their quality, but I still think their gassers are strong for the money.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice! Ended up finding a deal at my local Home Depot. Picked up a Weber Genesis II E-310. The clearance price, coupled with my military discount, came to $432. Couldn't pass it up!

I'm typing this as I wait for them to get it down from the rafters...lol.

Thanks all!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by dtresca; December 26, 2020, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            that's a great score

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Late to the game - but good score! That is how I got my Genesis II E-410, on clearance in January 2019, for under half price.

Great score! It will serve you well I am sure. No get grilling! 😁

Comment

Excellent! Enjoy the new rig!

Comment

Wow! That’s a great deal!

Comment

Congratulations!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here