Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of a getting a small gas grill -- what I am I not considering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of a getting a small gas grill -- what I am I not considering?

Hey all,

I'm thinking of getting a small portable/tailgating single-burner gas grill to supplement my existing charcoal grills/smoker (Weber Kettle and PBC).

I have a very specific use-case: I'd like to grill burgers, hot dogs, and especially salmon, but I just can't bring myself to do a full charcoal set up for something that cooks in less than twenty minutes. Anything 30 minutes or longer, or if I really want something char-grilled, I'll do it on charcoal.

I am not familiar at all with gas grills, although I did use a small Home Depot one about fifteen years ago (and had no idea what I was doing) a few times.

My wife doesn't eat fish, so a small portable grill looks perfect size-wise. It would for for a single piece of salmon, two burgers, and perhaps at most six hot dogs.

In my mind with these things (assuming I pick out a quality one), I just attach the propane canister, ignite the burner, let it preheat, put the food on, cook it, shut down, eat the food, and then once it has cooled do some basic quick cleaning and I'm good until next time.

With anything I've purchased, there is always an "oh, I didn't think about that" piece. So, what I am not considering here, in your opinion?

(And I do keep looking at picking up a Smokey Joe, instead, but my feel is that holistically, the gas setup is easier.)

I'm only willing to spend about $100 or so. I'm looking at a few of Char-Broil's models. Max gives their products good reviews and the company seems to be quite willing to send out replacement parts if something is wrong or damaged. (I do understand I am looking at a $100 grill.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	0F3B6586-016E-40DC-AEF9-00C3918ED2BC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.10 MB ID:	914100 I have a Charbroil Grill2Go. Platinum review on the free side of this site. $95 plus tax at Menards 2 yrs ago. I added an adapter hose for a 20 gal tank for $12 off Amazon. I love it. Fits all the need you describe.
    Last edited by Jfrosty27; September 20, 2020, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      That and its little brother are the two top ones I'm considering. One of the things I like about them is that they have very sturdy legs.

I had one of the Weber Go Anywhere propane grills years ago, which I mostly used for grilling on the shores of the Tennessee river, where we would beach the boat and take a lunch break. Those are only $69, and work well for the purposes you mention. I also didn’t want to hassle with charcoal for a 30 minute lunch break on the shore of the river or lake. We would pull the burgers or dogs out of the cooler and toss them on that little grill and lunch was ready in a few minutes.
    Last edited by jfmorris; September 20, 2020, 07:58 PM.

Comment

I use a stainless tabletop from cabela's. It works great for dogs and brats. Cooked many burgers too.
      I did cover most of the vent holes with aluminum foil while grilling on the coast a few years back. It helps keep the wind out.
      Agreed on the tank adaptor to 20# tank. The spin offs are only good for one or two cooks.
      Attached Files

Comment

Weber Q. Rig it up with a 20 gallon tank and it’s a great little grill. Possibly used one on Craig’s list?
        Discover the best of all worlds with a grill that fits on a small patio, with the power to execute an entire meal. Shop Weber's Q portable gas grills.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          I see deals on used units on OfferUp.com all the time.

Michael_in_TX what did you end up getting? I am in a similar situation. We are a party of two and when you want a quick burger, dog, etc, I want the convenience of a small gas grill with a small footprint.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          There's just two of us and I just use my charcoal chimney for burgers and dogs. Steaks and chops too. I did flatten it a bit so that it is oval in shape so it will hold larger burgers or whatever. And I bought a 13" ss grate to use on it and found out it also works great on top of the Kettle grate and it's much easier to clean.

• Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven't pulled the trigger yet......still leaning towards the Grill2Go.

I would say you're not considering a pellet cooker. Granted, they are usually way over your budget of $100. But, they are much easier to operate than a gasser, do everything the average cheap gasser does and more more more, and taste far better, *in my opinion*.

Comment

Weber Q is a great grill.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here