Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How come?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How come?

Here's a question I've been ruminating about. How come no one has come up with a thermostatically controlled gas grill? I think you would need a bypass mode where you can put it in manual and make it as hot as you want, but it seems like this could be done with a simple pilot light type of system, and would give you a lot of options.

No kidding. Seems inconceivable this cannot be done. Would be a game changer. I would buy a new gasser immediately.

Comment

SmokeFire..... Kidding.. just a joke.

Comment

Is especially odd since there is already a thermostatically controlled propane smoker which works pretty well.

Comment

only think I can think of is that most of the gas grill market is interested in direct grilling where precise temps aren't a big deal.

Comment

• JCGrill
            JCGrill commented
            Editing a comment
            Most likely reason I can think of as well.

Aftermarket propane controllers that do just that exist. Niche market.

Comment

It really shouldn’t be very difficult to implement. All you should need is a thermo probe to monitor grill temp and a PID controller to control the overall grill temp using a gas valve placed inline in the main gas line into the grill. The normal grill knobs would control the distribution of temps in the gasser itself. Sigh ... there goes any hope of a patent ... 😎 ...

Comment

• rickgregory
              rickgregory commented
              Editing a comment
              But... why? It's gas. All you're really doing then is turning it into an outdoor gas oven. The reason we care about it when smoking is that we want to achieve some predictability for long cooks but even then, really, it doesn't matter to most cooks if the temp is 240, 260 or 280.

To a degree (hah), I think there's an over emphasis on precise temps and flat Fireboard graphs.

• JCGrill
              JCGrill commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds pretty difficult to me, unless that was my day job. Meaning, I wouldn't want to try to cobble one together.

You were ruminating over that? Really?

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Lmao!!

• JCGrill
              JCGrill commented
              Editing a comment
              You guys don't want to hear about most of the stuff that goes through my mind.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh yes we do!

It seems you and Meathead think alike. This was his post in a recent thread regarding BBQ gizmo's you would like to see created as a startup.........

"I don't understand why I can't have a thermostat on my gas grill. I have one on my indoor oven and when it died I replaced it for less than $50. I know it is problematic with multiple burners. It would be really cool if it was an aftermarket product that could be adapted to fit any grill. But I want to set it and forget it. We have thermostat controllers for pellets and chargoal, why not gas? After all, cooking is all about temp control"

​​​​​​https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...r-tech-startup

Comment

• JCGrill
              JCGrill commented
              Editing a comment
              Ha, I missed that thread, but his reasoning is precisely the same as mine.

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              So you were ruminating also huh?

I there hope? https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...ills/ottos-g32

Comment

• JCGrill
              JCGrill commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll wait for your review, Max. If it's any good, I could see myself buying.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here