Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the Smokey Joe of propane grills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the Smokey Joe of propane grills?

So it's lunchtime here and I kinda want to grill something. But... I have a Weber kettle that's 22" and a Smokey Joe. For dinner, I'm fine with using the Smokey Joe for a burger or steak, but for a quick meal like lunch\ I'd love to be able to get grilling faster. So...

If you were after an inexpensive but decent gas grill that was just for quick, small things (A steak, or A burger or maybe 2) what would you get? I'll never smoke on it or grill for 8 people.

I'm thinking of something like this: https://amazingribs.com/grill-tailga...go-x200-review

thought?
    Last edited by rickgregory; July 16, 2020, 01:11 PM.

I think I would get this:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200716-151655.png
Views:	231
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	881581

I saw one in Lowe's yesterday. It looked quite nice. It has a particularly nice burner for one of these tabletops and even has a pushbutton ignitor.

Comment

Perhaps one of the WeberQ grills?

Comment

Looks like you already have your answer right there. Inexpensive and decent are mutually exclusive most of the time, but this one seems to have both.

Comment

Here's s picture of the burner in the Smoke Hollow:

Name:	Screenshot_20200716-151959.png
Views:	226
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	881585

Comment

Name:	BA8865B3-F8D0-4687-8FED-F2F816AC4992.jpeg
Views:	223
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	881587 I have the Grill2Go and I love it. It’s really good at searing after a low and slow cook too. But for a quick burger, brat, or even steaks or chops, it works very well too. I got mine on sale at Menards for $98!!

Comment

I have a Weber Q2200. The downside is it's a single burner.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/g.../54060001.htmlhttps://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/g.../54060001.html

Comment

I know you are wanting something faster, but the Weber chimney upside down lights fairly fast and is a good size for a single burger.

Comment

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a good idea actually. Part of the current delay is that I've got B&B briquettes which take awhile to catch. But I can just grab KBB. Hm....

I'm telling yea, forget cookers, just flame throw it to a perfect char.....

Comment

• jumbo7676
                  jumbo7676 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm pretty sure by the end of the year I will have convinced myself I must have one of these and will order one.

• Andrrr
                  Andrrr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Honestly for thin and small stuff it's probably easier

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
                I'm telling yea, forget cookers, just flame throw it to a perfect char.....

(Aussie accent on)
                "That's not a torch... this is a torch"

Name:	stock-photo-flamethrower-in-action-flamethrower-operational-test-1243370056.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	881626

Comment

They do make GillGrates for the Weber Q’s to help some with being a single burner. Mine is all ready to go on the fishing trip that got canceled . You can often snag a Q for $50-100 used off FB or CL. Though honestly I only used mine once to test it and now turn to the SmokeFire for anything quick instead of gas.

Comment

I'd take a look at a small griddle. Something like a Blackstone 17" or 22" (22" pictured). Hard to beat a griddle for doing a burger/brats/dogs and some veggies - caramelized onions or some mushrooms or some taters, or a philly cheesesteak, etc., etc., etc.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 6.39.10 AM.png
Views:	175
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	881803

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here