Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Masterflame 8000 rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Masterflame 8000 rehab

I've mostly rehabbed my vintage Charbroil Masterflame 8000 Gas grill. One area I have a question on that seems to be a zone of contention is vaporizer bars vs ceramic bricks. I've seen online that some folks swear by one or the other but as of now I haven't seen anything to convince me that either is really better. Both are easy to source here so that's not an issue. Any thoughts or advise would be appreciated.

Does your Masterflame have any type of grease management system? Many of the older value priced models with lava rocks were designed to burn up grease, which promoted flare ups. That's one of the reasons why most gas manufacturers switched to heat tents that sizzle drippings then divert excess grease to some sort of tray or channel to get it away from the flame. If you don't have a grease removal system, stick with the rocks. If you do, we start to get into a grey area. Many believe the rocks distribute heat more evenly, while others say the heat tents produce better flavor. In either case the design and condition of these components is a big factor.

Comment

It has a trough on both sides leading underneath the burner to a grease trap. To add to the fun, the body has mounts for both a rock grate AND a vaporizer bar. I ran in to the same grey area you've mentioned and I've seen both sides argue that their method is better hence my hope for something more definitive. I've seen some folks claim that rocks/ceramic make your burner last longer as well. I originally assumed that most manufacturers went to the drip bar as yet another cost cutting measure but now I'm not as sure. It seems maybe I should go the vaporizer bar route for simplicity sake and due to the presence of the grease trap.

Comment

It's interesting to try new methods. Start with inexpensive "vaporizors" to determine which you prefer.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here