Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill Upgrade to 4 burner – feedback wanted!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill Upgrade to 4 burner – feedback wanted!

I am looking to upgrade my propane grill and wanted to get some advice since I want to step up a few notches in quality and price. For many years I used a cheap $20 gasser from craigslist gasser for pretty basic grilling. It was pretty meh, but I wasn’t doing much more than crisping sausages or pre-made burgers for my wife and I. Three-ish years ago I upgraded to a Weber Spirit E-210 and was very happy with the money spent. The cast aluminum body was a game changer for heat retention and despite only having two burners the grill puts out decent heat compared to what I had before. I played around with some of the inserts in “GourmetBBQ” system, most of which were not so fantastic. Despite the poor reviews I have been moderately happy with the thick cast iron grate. I am looking forward to a stainless bar grate to see if they are as good as everyone says.

We now have three kids and they’re getting to be pretty good eaters as they grow and I find that the little Weber often is often crowded and I have to do 2 or 3 batches to cook it all. In the summer we often make dinner (grilled meat and veggies) plus something extra for lunches during the week. The wife and I think it is time for a larger grill. In the past few years I have been steadily improved my cooking skills and I find that I really enjoying trying new cooking techniques. Looking at reviews here and at grills on BBQguys I am interested in a sear burner for steaks or other things that need serious heat flux. I am also very interested in a rotisserie of some sort for whole chickens, turkeys, bell peppers, chilies and maybe gyros. I live in Colorado and grill year round and it can be disappointing to lose lots of heat when grilling with the top open in low temperatures (and I often find that closing the lid cooks more than I want). I am leaning toward 4 burner propane grills so far. 3 burner grills seem a little small and 5 or 6 burner grills get pricey pretty fast, but I am open to feedback. With three kids who are growing I don’t have a ton to spend – I am hoping to stay around $1300 for the grill but would get a decent amount of accessories if they are good quality. I probably won’t go above $2000 unless there is a very compelling reason. I don’t care about showing off the grill and don’t really want to pay extra for stainless accents on the grill (I will happily take enameled porcelain if it is cheaper). I have a nice overhang over my garage that keeps most weather out. I have a pellet smoker and am building and insulated vertical cabinet smoker so this is mostly for grilling.

Originally I looked at another Weber, particularly the Genesis II P-410, but to get a rear rotisserie you have to upgrade to the summit for quite a bit more.

I was really drawn to the Napoleon P500RSIB-3 (AR review link). Napoleon seems to have a ton of accessories, including a charcoal tray (I used to only use charcoal back in college and I miss it, but gas is so much quicker), rotisserie, rotisserie basket, griddle and “grill topper” for veggies. Some of the reviews on the amazingribs page are quite negative, but Meathead’s replies are reassuring. Does anyone here have anything to add? This is my favorite so far, but I don’t know much about Napoleon as a company. In particular I am interested in any feedback about the rear rotisserie burner and side sear burner.

The Napoleon rogue R425 (AR review link) looks similar - no idea why it is more expensive than the P500 for what seems like the same grill, but smaller cooking area and with less heat flux. I will go re-read the pages side by side because I bet there is a small detail I missed

The Broil King 590 (review) and S490 (review) look similar but there are a few less accessories and way fewer review details. The side burner is not a true sear burner either. I am not sure the tube in tube burner is better or worse, but the heat flux is slightly less. Anyone have experience with this grill?

The Saber 500 (AR review link) looks like has awesomely even heat and true multi zone cooking, but no dedicated rear rotisserie burner and no searing burner. It is also a bit more expensive for a 4 burner and has few accessories (including a very pricey rotisserie at $200!)

I am open to any and all ideas and am not in a hurry to buy. Thanks so much for your time!

-matto-

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo
Meat-Up in Memphis