Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Chef Somerset IV 4-Burner Outdoor Gas Range--A Winner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plus/minuses with that choice of different covers either way, looks like, Uncle Bob .

No matter what, I'm happy I made the purchase. I'm looking for a good wok now so I can use it on the Somerset IV. I stopped using a wok in the kitchen because it was just too messy. Gave the wok to one of our daughters. Cooks Illustrated says a fry pan works just as well, but you inspired me to look at woks once again.

Kathryn

Comment

I really enjoy using the wok, I've had it enough years that it's well seasoned. Also a stroke of good fortune is that the wok ring that came with my indoor stove fits the grate of the Somerset just fine without the diffuser in place. Another alternative that I'm sure you're aware of is a comal. I've got a 23" I've had for use on a single propane burner, but I've used it on the Somerset also. It's almost comically large on the 16" depth of the grate, but still functional. Of course there are smaller sizes with a similar design that is more user friendly by having the "stand by" shelf in addition to the center bowl, rather than the only slanted sides of the wok. Just a thought provoker...……..or let you MCS run wild and get both.
      Attached Files

Comment

Anyone know if this has been discontinued?

I was very much interested last summer...but it’s "sold out" on the Camp Chef site and damn near impossible to find...except for a handful of third party sellers that i’m not convinced are even authorised dealers. :-/

Comment

• Uncle Bob
          Uncle Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          Go ahead and call Camp Chef directly and ask them what the status is. I've found them to be very customer friendly and open. I suspect on some of this stuff that the tariff thing has caused some suppliers to re-evaluate their manufacturing options which has caused inventory dead periods for a number of products out there.

• Dan Deter
          Dan Deter commented
          Editing a comment
          I've just been wondering the same thing. This morning I noticed the covers aren't available either, so I'm wondering if they're changing something...?

Well, darn. It's such a sweet outdoor gas range. I would have bought their 3 burner outdoor range but it didn't have the "look"--the more polished finish of the 4 burner one. Now that I have the 4 burner one, the Somerset IV, I have no regrets.

I agree with Uncle Bob , give Camp Chef a ringydingy. They were very helpful to me when I was researching the purchase.

BTW, I got mine from Home Depot at a much lower price than listed on the Camp Chef site, still with free delivery.

Kathryn

Comment

P.S. Walmart still has it listed for sale. Discontinued at Lowes and Home Depot. The Walmart price listed is higher than what I paid for it at Home Depot last summer.

Home Depot: $297 last summer--free shipping (that's what I paid)
          Camp Chef Website--$525 including shipping last summer--$460 retail price

Walmart $415 now with free shipping

That Guy Fieri Pro90X bundle looks pretty nice: https://www.campchef.com/camp-stoves...x-package.html

Kathryn
          Last edited by fzxdoc; January 16, 2020, 09:28 AM.

Comment

surfdog, I have the Tahoe, which is essentially the same stove as the Pro90X without the tables and the rest of the accessories. I really wanted the Pro90X, but the cost was over my budget, so I called Camp Chef and had them take me through the differences between the Pro90X and the Tahoe. There weren't many; the tables (which I can buy separately when I have some cash) and the folding legs (the legs come off the Tahoe easily and store in a bracket underneath the stove) and Guy Fieri's endorsement. They both have (3) 30,000 BTU burners. I think I paid somewhere around $150.00. It came with a single burner cast iron griddle.

I got it cause it is portable, and since we travel with a pellet grill, we didn't need the grill box that comes with the Pro90X Guy package. We have plenty of cast iron already. I picked up a griddle tool set off Amazon.

fzxdoc experience with the Somerset is what pushed me over the top (yes, Kathryn, it is your fault. Well, that and the little MCS monster lol).

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              It's great to be a MCS Enabler.

K.

surfdog , except for the aesthetics of the Somerset IV, the other Camp Chef ranges measure up nicely.

The greatest thing about the Camp Chef ranges are those 30,000 BTU burners. Considering a home kitchen gas range is between 7,000 and 12,000 BTU, these big 30,000 BTU leave them in the dust. Perfect for deep frying and wok cooking--and anything else. Just be sure to get the Camp Chef diffusers with your purchase.

Maybe the 3 burner models will work for you--not as pretty as the 4 burner Somerset IV but nice nonetheless.

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; January 16, 2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I really like the look of the Somerset... It looks more "finished" and better suited to my grilling area. I’m definitely going to add the diffusers.

• Dan Deter
              Dan Deter commented
              Editing a comment
              I also liked the "finished" look, and that might have helped it get SWMBO's approval. And when the price was closer to the 3 burner stoves it was a hard choice. OTOH I've recently started thinking I might like the ability to fold up and take it with me places which the P90 and Tahoe give me. I don't really need the 4th burner, I've got lower power burners available (side burner on my Summit and my Coleman camp stove). If I ever have money to spare on MCS I'm in trouble...

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              Dangit, now I want the diffusers!!!

This just in:

Hello Gary,

Unfortunately the Somerset IV has been discontinued and there is not a replacement in the horizon. I do apologize for the inconvenience. We do have the FTG600 which would make a great addition to your outdoor kitchen. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Dixie

Best Regards,
            Camp Chef
            Customer Support

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              So that’s kinda crappy...just ordered one from Walmart...will be here Thursday.

• Dan Deter
              Dan Deter commented
              Editing a comment
              Time to go change up the Amazon wish list

• Dan Deter
              Dan Deter commented
              Editing a comment
              Somerset taken off of Amazon wish list, Pro90X added...

I'm glad you got the Somerset IV from Walmart. Must be from their summer stock, surfdog . Too bad about the discontinuing of the Somerset IV. The burners of the suggested FTG600 replacement are nothing like those on the Somerset IV or the Pro90X, though. They may be fine for a flat top grill but not so good for a true outdoor gas range.

Kathryn

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              That was exactly my thinking.
              Hadn’t seen it and when they made the suggestion I went and had a look...
              Eh, no.

I already have a 36” griddle...and a 6 burner Summit gasser. What I DON’T have is an outdoor STOVE...and as you noted, straight burners on a gas cooker are NOT the same.
              The Pro 90X looks better in that regard...but not as nice as the Somerset...and I don’t need portability.

• klflowers
              klflowers commented
              Editing a comment
              surfdog, I predict (cause my middle name is Carnac https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuFSWcNe8hY) that you are going to love it.

I agree with klflowers , surfdog . You're really going to love cooking on that Somerset IV. It's nice looking and does a great job. Too bad that front panel isn't hinged for better access to the storage area behind, but I find it no longer bothers me.

The only single thing I would change about it would be the addition of a splatter screen like some of the other Camp Chef ranges have. I have protected my deck with flame retardant mats, so grease spots on the decking are not a problem. This summer when there is more of a selection, I will find a patio rug to put over those mats, mostly for aesthetic purposes.

Since we have propane gas heat I had a gas line run to the Somerset IV so I don't have to mess with a propane tank. The cost for having that done was more than the cost of the range!

I too have the 6 burner Weber Summit gasser (also hooked up to the household propane gas line) and have found it to be really great for deep frying in a CI dutch oven, following Meathead's directions. But the side burner is too small and wimpy for deep frying. It's OK for a side dish or warmer, though. So for frying, for making side dishes while the smoker is going, or for just the pure fun of cooking a meal outdoors, the Somerset IV fits my needs perfectly.

Kathryn

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you.
              After discovering this I thought it would be pretty nice to have...and then following your adventures with it I was fully convinced that I "needed" one. I can't wait to fire it up.

I don't have propane here, so tanks it is. Not surprised at the cost though...if one wants it done correctly and to code.

Looking forward to heating up a pot of oil on it as well.

does this come in a natural gas option?

Comment

Wow...this thing really is cool. :-)
            Toss a CI pot on there and I can deep fry without stinking up the house or getting spatter on the ceiling, floors, walls...places I didn’t think I could reach. LOL

I've got the pizza oven accessory arriving tomorrow and can’t wait to put it through its paces.

And now I’m looking for a bigger wok. Oh this MCS nonsense. LOL

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              I knew when I saw it that I wanted it. Reading the posts by you & fzxdoc really pushed my over the line and sealed the deal. Thanks to you both for the great info. The pizza oven arrives today and I’m like a kid at Xmas waiting for Santa to arrive. LOL

• Uncle Bob
              Uncle Bob commented
              Editing a comment
              I'll be interested to hear/see your results/opinions on that piece. My sister has the wider 14" version and is lukewarm about the results, but I'll not say more than that other than she's a different kind of particular than many.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              "lukewarm" I get it, Uncle Bob .

It's hard to find a pizza oven add-on that doesn't burn the bottom of the pizza beyond recognition, at least from the limited sample I've seen among friends.

Kathryn

I"m so happy you like your Somerset IV, surfdog . Sometimes, when I get fired up and post about a new possible purchase, I fear that perhaps I'm the only one whose unique set of needs it might satisfy. It's great to be in such good company as you and Uncle Bob . Plus it's just plain fun to cook outside, not just to keep the mess out of the kitchen, but also for the pleasure of doing so.

Kathryn

Comment

• surfdog
              surfdog commented
              Editing a comment
              I fully agree...with both assessments. I’m glad I stumbled onto the posts by you & Uncle Bob because this thing not only works but looks the part. Not as "camp site" as their other stuff, so it fits in better...and don’t need portability. Between this and my other cookers, I can’t think of anything off hand that I can’t cook outside.

You're right about that, surfdog . I might get the MCS itch for other things now and again, but either add-ons to this or my existing BBQ arsenal should pretty much fit the bill from here on out.

Kathryn

Comment

fzxdoc

"It's hard to find a pizza oven add-on that doesn't burn the bottom of the pizza beyond recognition, at least from the limited sample I've seen among friends.

Kathryn "

You're experienced enough that you've likely had the same experience I've had. You need to delve deeper into some of that feedback to find out how well versed that individual is in the use of whatever the device/equipment is. For example, I've had a few folks tell me that a pizza stone isn't any good at crisping up the crust. On further review we find out that they put the stone in the oven (or whatever) cold, then as soon as the "air/chamber" temp gets up to whatever their target is (as low as 375, but sometimes higher) they throw the pizza on. There's the opportunity to teach them about thermal soak and giving the stone time to get to temp and stabilize, usually an hour, perhaps longer depending. It's a revelation to them, and happily a chance to pass along learned info.

Looking at the design of the Camp Chef device in question, it appears the upper two walled chamber is hollow. It wouldn't surprise me if a user would crank up the burners on high, get the stone to temp but the hollow chamber might not be. That's a design that doesn't radiate a lot of heat from above anyway, and not getting the overhead hot enough just exacerbates that issue. But we'll see if surfdog will have more success. I'm pullin' for him...……………..

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here