Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Chef Somerset IV 4-Burner Outdoor Gas Range--A Winner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great choice fzxdoc. The pizza oven accessory is a must have. I use the heck out of mine and it will cook a FULL SIZE pizza perfectly.

Comment

cgrover60 , you were a big reason why I chose to purchase the Camp Chef Somerset IV Outdoor Gas Range. Your glowing review of the Camp Chef product that you own gave me confidence to trust the quality of this company. Thanks so much!

Kathryn

Comment

• cgrover60
        cgrover60 commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad that was helpful fzxdoc. I fired my little two burner up on Fathers Day with an oversize griddle for a 3 lb bacon and 20 hash brown patty cook and it's still going strong.

I’ve been looking at these and the 3 burner one and keep wondering if you could take the legs off and buil it into an outdoor kitchen?

Comment

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, you can. One of CCs videos shows it that way built into a stone looking "cabinet". Legs attach just below the knob panel line.

Very nice and congrats on the purchase. Frankly, I had no real desire for a Blackstone rig. Just had no burning interest. Unfortunately, now I want yours. That has some serious versatility!

Do you know if they can be hooked up to natural gas?
      Last edited by NapMaster; June 17, 2019, 08:53 PM. Reason: Added a question.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        A CC vendor, Outdoor Cooking, claims that CC has a procedure to drill out the orifice and convert hose to nat gas compatible, but calling Camp Chef direct would probably be the best way to get an accurate answer.

• NapMaster
        NapMaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Uncle Bob Thanks for that info.

Thanks, NapMaster. I was like you--no desire for a Blackstone because it took up too much real estate for one trick pony versatility. But with this cooktop, there's a lot it can do. I originally thought I only needed the 3 burner size for space considerations, but now am so happy that I went with the Somerset IV. For one thing, it looks less "campy" and more polished for an outdoor home kitchen, and for another thing, the size allows for a host of options such as side by side griddles.

One reason why I want to get rid of the propane tank is that I pull it out from the side of the house to use it, and that tank adds weight. It has wheels and a round handle on the end of the flip-up side table for steering, and once going, it moves easily. There are no locks on the wheels, BTW. The way I store it, tables down, steering (handle) end butted up next to my PBC (also parked next to the house for storage), it's not as easy to get myself situated on the side opposite the wheels so I can steer it away from the house a bit and into cooking position. Besides the fact, propane tanks are a pain.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; June 18, 2019, 06:03 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	2BAD34FC-B9B0-4FE1-9153-5AB0DCA7ED26.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	697170 Congratulations on that sexy purchase. I like the diffusers for it.

No pics of the chicken 🍗... well.. Well give you a pass. You got Street Cred!

Darn you Kathryn!! I am considering a gasser but now... Err....🤔🤔

I just remembered your fried chicken vessel search. Have you considered the "Fish pan?"

Click image for larger version  Name:	F7C2E6DC-256C-4EB0-B73D-B07ABAC5E410.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	4.10 MB ID:	697027
        Last edited by HouseHomey; June 18, 2019, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you smoke your wings before tossing them in the fry pan, @HouseHomey?

Kathryn

• Willard
          Willard commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the fish pan. Bayou Classic?

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Willard Legacy Series "Fish Pan" by Lodge. It’s a great pan!

Kathryn will likely have some terrific pictures down the road, but for now I'll submit a mundane example of a couple smash sliders I did for lunch today on the ci griddle atop the Somerset IV. Only took a few minutes to get the griddle up to around 440 degrees, a point that seems to put a nice crust on the meat in a matter of a couple minutes.
        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice! Congrats on your new toy.

Comment

So, the CC ci griddle has two sides (as others do) and for dinner tonight, flip that baby over and...…...…………..it's Cuban sandwich time!!
            Attached Files

Comment

Great update/review. Now I want one of those & a griddle too. I recently acquired a Grilla Silverbac so my deck is getting full as it is! Love the idea of keeping deep fry stink out of the house.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                I’m feeling you. Am considering a spirit or genesis but I’m liking the stove next to the Blackstone. I’ll move it to the middle of the lawn if need be. Darn outdoor cooking and MCS.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Can't wait to hear your review of the Silverbac.

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
              I recently acquired a Grilla Silverbac
              Awesome! And as they say in Grilla land, "Welcome to the jungle"!

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I am very impressed. Very. Review coming soon!

If you took the links Kathryn posted above you might have seen where she and I had a brief exchange about covers. We'd both seen the online feedback posts that complained about the CC recommended/supplied optionally cover that tended to be so much too tight that several folks split the corners. She opted for a "universal" cover because she didn't like the color of the CC one, I instead looked at another cover they offer that had measurements slightly more generous than the prescribed cover. It is the cover CC sells for the FTG900 griddle and it fits very well in my eyes. The color is similar enough to the brick on my house that I don't find it as objectionable. Here is a pic of it on the stove which also has the larger griddle I have that measures 32 x 18 mounted under the cover.
              Attached Files

Comment

Actually, Uncle Bob , I returned that universal cover and purchased the one made for the Somerset IV, sold on the Camp Chef website. I figured I'd put up with the brown color, even though my black Weber covers are looking at it askance.

It fits more snugly than yours does. I imagine yours is easier to remove because of its roominess. I am careful when removing mine that the cover doesn't get hung up on the flipped-down side tables. Click image for larger version  Name:	New Camp Chef Cover.jpg Views:	1 Size:	62.5 KB ID:	700898

You can see I have the legs of the Camp Chef on furniture mover discs to help with sliding away from the house for use.

Kathryn
                Last edited by fzxdoc; June 25, 2019, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Oh, Uncle Bob , I've been meaning to mention that I'm using the burner controls on the right side most of the time, using the left side only to start the burner. I like it better because it offers finer control of the flame. At my altitude, 3750 ft, that means that the air intake lever has to be almost all the way over to the right for the flame to burn blue.

Some people complain (on You Tube comments) that the flame is too jumpy, but honestly I think it's because they don't use that air intake control correctly like you and I do. Those burners and flames are rock solid, even in a thunderstorm last night.

I'm using it almost every day, looking for excuses to pull it away from the side of the house and fire it up.

I love cooking on this thing.

Kathryn

Comment

• Craigar
                    Craigar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It sounds like you need to build a permanent space for you newest love.

• fzxdoc
                    fzxdoc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good idea, Craigar. Too bad my husband won't give up his man cave.

K.

fzxdoc I'm glad it's working out well for you too, that's great. Yeah, I've used mine a fair bit and it is a good piece of kit. You're right about that air adjustment, this seems more sensitive to it than other propane burners I've played with, but once dialed in there's so much range to work with. That CC cover looks good, maybe the black is just jealous. I suspect you're more disciplined than the animals that just try to muscle off the cover and end up tearing it. The bigger one I've got might be a problem for the impatient as well since it goes to the ground and could get fouled in the wheels if not paid attention to.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here