Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Chef Somerset IV 4-Burner Outdoor Gas Range--A Winner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HouseHomey
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2BAD34FC-B9B0-4FE1-9153-5AB0DCA7ED26.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	697170 Congratulations on that sexy purchase. I like the diffusers for it.

No pics of the chicken 🍗... well.. Well give you a pass. You got Street Cred!

Darn you Kathryn!! I am considering a gasser but now... Err....🤔🤔

I just remembered your fried chicken vessel search. Have you considered the "Fish pan?"

Click image for larger version  Name:	F7C2E6DC-256C-4EB0-B73D-B07ABAC5E410.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	4.10 MB ID:	697027
    Last edited by HouseHomey; June 18, 2019, 11:35 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Thanks, NapMaster. I was like you--no desire for a Blackstone because it took up too much real estate for one trick pony versatility. But with this cooktop, there's a lot it can do. I originally thought I only needed the 3 burner size for space considerations, but now am so happy that I went with the Somerset IV. For one thing, it looks less "campy" and more polished for an outdoor home kitchen, and for another thing, the size allows for a host of options such as side by side griddles.

One reason why I want to get rid of the propane tank is that I pull it out from the side of the house to use it, and that tank adds weight. It has wheels and a round handle on the end of the flip-up side table for steering, and once going, it moves easily. There are no locks on the wheels, BTW. The way I store it, tables down, steering (handle) end butted up next to my PBC (also parked next to the house for storage), it's not as easy to get myself situated on the side opposite the wheels so I can steer it away from the house a bit and into cooking position. Besides the fact, propane tanks are a pain.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; June 18, 2019, 06:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Bob
    commented on 's reply
    A CC vendor, Outdoor Cooking, claims that CC has a procedure to drill out the orifice and convert hose to nat gas compatible, but calling Camp Chef direct would probably be the best way to get an accurate answer.

• Uncle Bob
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, you can. One of CCs videos shows it that way built into a stone looking "cabinet". Legs attach just below the knob panel line.

• NapMaster
    replied
    Very nice and congrats on the purchase. Frankly, I had no real desire for a Blackstone rig. Just had no burning interest. Unfortunately, now I want yours. That has some serious versatility!

Do you know if they can be hooked up to natural gas?
    Last edited by NapMaster; June 17, 2019, 08:53 PM. Reason: Added a question.

Leave a comment:

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    I’ve been looking at these and the 3 burner one and keep wondering if you could take the legs off and buil it into an outdoor kitchen?

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    cgrover60 , you were a big reason why I chose to purchase the Camp Chef Somerset IV Outdoor Gas Range. Your glowing review of the Camp Chef product that you own gave me confidence to trust the quality of this company. Thanks so much!

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• cgrover60
    replied
    Great choice fzxdoc. The pizza oven accessory is a must have. I use the heck out of mine and it will cook a FULL SIZE pizza perfectly.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    That chicken is history! Well, not really. Husband will polish off the remaining pieces tonight. I wanted to take a photo but was way to busy getting the meal on the table for his Father's Day dinner. I might have dropped the phone in the fry pot if I had taken time to do one more thing like snap a photo.

Next time, I promise.

K.

• FireMan
    replied
    Hey, where’s the chicken?
    Fantastic griddle BTW. Now how about the real thing with somethin bein cooked. 🕶

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    You're welcome, Max Good . I hope you get to play with one of these soon.

Uncle Bob , you blazed the trail for me on this Somerset IV gas range, getting yours a few weeks before I got mine. You've fired it up with a wok, griddle, and various CI pots and reported good results with all of them. Reading your posts here, here, here and here shortened my learning curve significantly, and I'm grateful.

About the diffuser (Fire Tamer by Camp Chef) :All 4 of my diffusers purchased from Camp Chef arrived with rust on them similar to that one shown on your cooktop. I called Camp Chef and sent in photos; I said I did not want to replace them, since I feared it would be more of the same with the replacements. After all, they are raw steel. So Camp Chef refunded half of my purchase price including shipping. In the meanwhile, I soaked them, one by one, in vinegar overnight and washed them well. All the rust went away. Then I coated them lightly with vegetable oil and popped them in a warm oven for a while. After that, I turned off the oven and let them cool. When cool, I wiped them well with a clean rag and put them away for use.

Here are before and after photos. The before photos are after I took a Liquid Wrench-soaked steel wool pad to them to see if that would do any good. It helped to remove some of the paper from the cardboard sleeve they each came wrapped in, but that was all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Side 1 Rusted Flame Tamers.jpg Views:	1 Size:	95.4 KB ID:	696739Click image for larger version  Name:	Rust Removed from Flame Tamers.jpg Views:	1 Size:	86.3 KB ID:	696740

You can see the heat effects and CI pot mark on the one I used yesterday.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; June 17, 2019, 01:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Max Good
    replied
    Thanks for this wealth of info!

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Bob
    replied
    It's everything Kathryn has said...…………………...and more. I'd bet she'll have more adventures to share as this thing is really very versatile.

For the curious, this is what the CC 24 x 16 ci griddle looks like in place, and one of the diffusers in place.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I agree - after Kathryn fzxdoc started the other thread about this stove, I realized there were some much more flexible options than just a flat top like the Blackstone. I like that you can boil/fry/griddle/grill/bake on this one. That Guy Fieri video with the 3 burner stove sorta sold it for me, if I ever expand beyond my current setup.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    All of the Camp Chef 16" stove accessories fit this stove - they have a 1 or 2 burner griddle, a 2 burner grill box, a 2 burner pizza oven, and probably a few other things I missed.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here