Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Chef Somerset IV 4-Burner Outdoor Gas Range--A Winner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klflowers
    replied
    surfdog, I have the Tahoe, which is essentially the same stove as the Pro90X without the tables and the rest of the accessories. I really wanted the Pro90X, but the cost was over my budget, so I called Camp Chef and had them take me through the differences between the Pro90X and the Tahoe. There weren't many; the tables (which I can buy separately when I have some cash) and the folding legs (the legs come off the Tahoe easily and store in a bracket underneath the stove) and Guy Fieri's endorsement. They both have (3) 30,000 BTU burners. I think I paid somewhere around $150.00. It came with a single burner cast iron griddle.

I got it cause it is portable, and since we travel with a pellet grill, we didn't need the grill box that comes with the Pro90X Guy package. We have plenty of cast iron already. I picked up a griddle tool set off Amazon.

fzxdoc experience with the Somerset is what pushed me over the top (yes, Kathryn, it is your fault. Well, that and the little MCS monster lol).

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    P.S. Walmart still has it listed for sale. Discontinued at Lowes and Home Depot. The Walmart price listed is higher than what I paid for it at Home Depot last summer.

Home Depot: $297 last summer--free shipping (that's what I paid)
    Camp Chef Website--$525 including shipping last summer--$460 retail price

Walmart $415 now with free shipping

That Guy Fieri Pro90X bundle looks pretty nice: https://www.campchef.com/camp-stoves...x-package.html

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; January 16, 2020, 09:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Well, darn. It's such a sweet outdoor gas range. I would have bought their 3 burner outdoor range but it didn't have the "look"--the more polished finish of the 4 burner one. Now that I have the 4 burner one, the Somerset IV, I have no regrets.

I agree with Uncle Bob , give Camp Chef a ringydingy. They were very helpful to me when I was researching the purchase.

BTW, I got mine from Home Depot at a much lower price than listed on the Camp Chef site, still with free delivery.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Dan Deter
    commented on 's reply
    I've just been wondering the same thing. This morning I noticed the covers aren't available either, so I'm wondering if they're changing something...?

• Uncle Bob
    commented on 's reply
    Go ahead and call Camp Chef directly and ask them what the status is. I've found them to be very customer friendly and open. I suspect on some of this stuff that the tariff thing has caused some suppliers to re-evaluate their manufacturing options which has caused inventory dead periods for a number of products out there.

• surfdog
    replied
    Anyone know if this has been discontinued?

I was very much interested last summer...but it’s "sold out" on the Camp Chef site and damn near impossible to find...except for a handful of third party sellers that i’m not convinced are even authorised dealers. :-/

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Bob
    replied
    I really enjoy using the wok, I've had it enough years that it's well seasoned. Also a stroke of good fortune is that the wok ring that came with my indoor stove fits the grate of the Somerset just fine without the diffuser in place. Another alternative that I'm sure you're aware of is a comal. I've got a 23" I've had for use on a single propane burner, but I've used it on the Somerset also. It's almost comically large on the 16" depth of the grate, but still functional. Of course there are smaller sizes with a similar design that is more user friendly by having the "stand by" shelf in addition to the center bowl, rather than the only slanted sides of the wok. Just a thought provoker...……..or let you MCS run wild and get both.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Plus/minuses with that choice of different covers either way, looks like, Uncle Bob .

No matter what, I'm happy I made the purchase. I'm looking for a good wok now so I can use it on the Somerset IV. I stopped using a wok in the kitchen because it was just too messy. Gave the wok to one of our daughters. Cooks Illustrated says a fry pan works just as well, but you inspired me to look at woks once again.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    Good idea, Craigar. Too bad my husband won't give up his man cave.

K.

• Craigar
    commented on 's reply
    It sounds like you need to build a permanent space for you newest love.

• Uncle Bob
    replied
    fzxdoc I'm glad it's working out well for you too, that's great. Yeah, I've used mine a fair bit and it is a good piece of kit. You're right about that air adjustment, this seems more sensitive to it than other propane burners I've played with, but once dialed in there's so much range to work with. That CC cover looks good, maybe the black is just jealous. I suspect you're more disciplined than the animals that just try to muscle off the cover and end up tearing it. The bigger one I've got might be a problem for the impatient as well since it goes to the ground and could get fouled in the wheels if not paid attention to.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Can't wait to hear your review of the Silverbac.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Oh, Uncle Bob , I've been meaning to mention that I'm using the burner controls on the right side most of the time, using the left side only to start the burner. I like it better because it offers finer control of the flame. At my altitude, 3750 ft, that means that the air intake lever has to be almost all the way over to the right for the flame to burn blue.

Some people complain (on You Tube comments) that the flame is too jumpy, but honestly I think it's because they don't use that air intake control correctly like you and I do. Those burners and flames are rock solid, even in a thunderstorm last night.

I'm using it almost every day, looking for excuses to pull it away from the side of the house and fire it up.

I love cooking on this thing.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    Actually, Uncle Bob , I returned that universal cover and purchased the one made for the Somerset IV, sold on the Camp Chef website. I figured I'd put up with the brown color, even though my black Weber covers are looking at it askance.

It fits more snugly than yours does. I imagine yours is easier to remove because of its roominess. I am careful when removing mine that the cover doesn't get hung up on the flipped-down side tables. Click image for larger version  Name:	New Camp Chef Cover.jpg Views:	1 Size:	62.5 KB ID:	700898

You can see I have the legs of the Camp Chef on furniture mover discs to help with sliding away from the house for use.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; June 25, 2019, 02:49 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Bob
    replied
    If you took the links Kathryn posted above you might have seen where she and I had a brief exchange about covers. We'd both seen the online feedback posts that complained about the CC recommended/supplied optionally cover that tended to be so much too tight that several folks split the corners. She opted for a "universal" cover because she didn't like the color of the CC one, I instead looked at another cover they offer that had measurements slightly more generous than the prescribed cover. It is the cover CC sells for the FTG900 griddle and it fits very well in my eyes. The color is similar enough to the brick on my house that I don't find it as objectionable. Here is a pic of it on the stove which also has the larger griddle I have that measures 32 x 18 mounted under the cover.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here