Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Chef Somerset IV 4-Burner Outdoor Gas Range--A Winner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• surfdog
    replied
    Well, my IR gun will be at the ready Uncle Bob and I will certainly report back any findings.

Many years ago I watched a true artisan make a pizza in a wood fired oven...about the time that most of us would have declared it "done" he lifted it from the oven floor and held it up near the top of the chamber...where all that heat was collecting. That SERIOUSLY melted the cheese & finished cooking the toppings. I’m looking at doing much the same if I think that’s the key.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Bob
    replied
    fzxdoc

"It's hard to find a pizza oven add-on that doesn't burn the bottom of the pizza beyond recognition, at least from the limited sample I've seen among friends.

Kathryn "

You're experienced enough that you've likely had the same experience I've had. You need to delve deeper into some of that feedback to find out how well versed that individual is in the use of whatever the device/equipment is. For example, I've had a few folks tell me that a pizza stone isn't any good at crisping up the crust. On further review we find out that they put the stone in the oven (or whatever) cold, then as soon as the "air/chamber" temp gets up to whatever their target is (as low as 375, but sometimes higher) they throw the pizza on. There's the opportunity to teach them about thermal soak and giving the stone time to get to temp and stabilize, usually an hour, perhaps longer depending. It's a revelation to them, and happily a chance to pass along learned info.

Looking at the design of the Camp Chef device in question, it appears the upper two walled chamber is hollow. It wouldn't surprise me if a user would crank up the burners on high, get the stone to temp but the hollow chamber might not be. That's a design that doesn't radiate a lot of heat from above anyway, and not getting the overhead hot enough just exacerbates that issue. But we'll see if surfdog will have more success. I'm pullin' for him...……………..

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    replied
    You're right about that, surfdog . I might get the MCS itch for other things now and again, but either add-ons to this or my existing BBQ arsenal should pretty much fit the bill from here on out.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• fzxdoc
    commented on 's reply
    "lukewarm" I get it, Uncle Bob .

It's hard to find a pizza oven add-on that doesn't burn the bottom of the pizza beyond recognition, at least from the limited sample I've seen among friends.

Kathryn

• Uncle Bob
    commented on 's reply
    I'll be interested to hear/see your results/opinions on that piece. My sister has the wider 14" version and is lukewarm about the results, but I'll not say more than that other than she's a different kind of particular than many.

• surfdog
    commented on 's reply
    I knew when I saw it that I wanted it. Reading the posts by you & fzxdoc really pushed my over the line and sealed the deal. Thanks to you both for the great info. The pizza oven arrives today and I’m like a kid at Xmas waiting for Santa to arrive. LOL

• surfdog
    commented on 's reply
    I fully agree...with both assessments. I’m glad I stumbled onto the posts by you & Uncle Bob because this thing not only works but looks the part. Not as "camp site" as their other stuff, so it fits in better...and don’t need portability. Between this and my other cookers, I can’t think of anything off hand that I can’t cook outside.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    I"m so happy you like your Somerset IV, surfdog . Sometimes, when I get fired up and post about a new possible purchase, I fear that perhaps I'm the only one whose unique set of needs it might satisfy. It's great to be in such good company as you and Uncle Bob . Plus it's just plain fun to cook outside, not just to keep the mess out of the kitchen, but also for the pleasure of doing so.

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Bob
    commented on 's reply
    Are we allowed an "I toldja so" moment?

• surfdog
    replied
    Wow...this thing really is cool. :-)
    Toss a CI pot on there and I can deep fry without stinking up the house or getting spatter on the ceiling, floors, walls...places I didn’t think I could reach. LOL

I've got the pizza oven accessory arriving tomorrow and can’t wait to put it through its paces.

And now I’m looking for a bigger wok. Oh this MCS nonsense. LOL

Leave a comment:

• surfdog
    commented on 's reply
    From the CC Somerset IV page...

• surfdog
    commented on 's reply
    It doesn't but CC provides directions on how to do it...
    Basically it's just a matter of drilling out the orifice a little bit as it needs to be enlarged for NG to keep the same BTU/output.

• surfdog
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you.
    After discovering this I thought it would be pretty nice to have...and then following your adventures with it I was fully convinced that I "needed" one. I can't wait to fire it up.

I don't have propane here, so tanks it is. Not surprised at the cost though...if one wants it done correctly and to code.

Looking forward to heating up a pot of oil on it as well.

• Dan Deter
    commented on 's reply
    They have natural gas valves for at least a number of their cookers including the PRO90X series. https://www.campchef.com/catalogsear.../natural%20gas . However note the above posts that the Somerset IV has been discontinued.

• Uncle Bob
    commented on 's reply
    If you go to the links Kathryn postd I addressed that in one of the posts. IIRC you have to drill out the orifice provided for propane. Not OEM authorized but a method.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here