Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Self-regulating temperature gas grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self-regulating temperature gas grill?

It doesn't sound too hard to create a functionality where the amount of gas is regulated so that the gas grill keeps the temperature you want, i.e. an oven functionality. Does anyone know why this isn't offered?

Actually, Charbroil recently came out with gas grills that do this.

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...ise-gas-grill/

I guess the reason more have not done so before now is the fact it requires added complexity (electronics) on a gas grill, and the other part being that many people who use gas grills don't bother with indirect or controlled temperature cooking, like those of us who tend to be here in the Pitmaster Club. I.e. my brother in laws who grill just go high heat and incinerate some burgers, or maybe lower heat and cook some steak or chicken. They don't own or use digital thermometers, and could care less about the temperature of the grill. I think that goes for the majority of grill owners sadly.

Comment

I think it's a great concept and has a future. I love the ability to set the temp on my charcoal grills using a fan and controller. It's convenient like a... gas grill. It seems to me that feature should be a hit if implemented well.

Comment

My new Blaze grill (which is on its way! Yay!) has no electronics/electricity. No lights, or electric ignition. Those things just add more to go wrong. Which is probably why it has a limited lifetime warranty even in a multi-user setting. Less to go wrong. The concept will probably come, but I would expect it will come first on really high end grills, and the lower medium price grills, where they add bells and whistles to grills built less expensively. And in that situation it will definitely be something that can go wrong fairly quickly.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine is built into the outdoor kitchen so I can't turn it around but I do have lights installed above. I still wish I had spotlighting right on the grill grate though. But I don't spend too much time worrying about it. For my kettles, I have a great little set of magnetic lights I use on occasion when needed.

• Bogy
          Bogy commented
          Editing a comment
          Max emailed me Monday to see if I was going to be putting the Blaze in an outdoor kitchen, or needed the stand. I may someday put it in an outdoor kitchen, but first I have to build it, so for now I need the stand.

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          And add to that, my Pellet Grill doesn't work when the power goes out. LOL

I'm guessing it's because a self-regulating gas grill is just an oven, which everyone already has.

I can see the value in the hot months, when you want something that needs an oven at a certain temp but you dont want to heat up the house, but that's perhaps viewed as niche case.

Comment

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Attjack - I'll give you rotisserie, I'd not thought of that. But I don't see the advantage of an oven-like temp control when grilling (reverse sear, MAYBE). And griddle? Not when it's closed, right? And it can't regulate the temp when it's open.

Of course, if you're saying "but it can be all of those whereas an oven can't be a grill... sure. But if I want a gas grill to grill... I can do that without the temp regulation.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory You are correct, I meant that having a single versatile outdoor appliance that can do many things is a good thing. At my cabin, I use the flat side of my GrillGrates as a griddle, and its rotisserie, and of course, I also grill on it.
          Last edited by Attjack; November 16, 2022, 02:01 PM.

• Bob K
          Bob K commented
          Editing a comment
          I use mine as an oven every 4th Thursday of November. Because: (a) it makes life much easier for those in the kitchen, and (b) I get to stay outside "cooking"

Weber has a three burner temperature controlled gas grill, if you want to plunk down about $1200. I would not touch the Char Broil model. Saw it at Lowes and the build quality is poor. Cabinet is very flimsy steel.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          Unless they very recently introduced something, I don’t believe Weber has temperature regulation. They’ve had their ‘smart’ grills for a couple years that are misleading with the built in connect and cooking temperature display, but still have knobs for manually setting each burner. Their definition of smart was telling you when the food is predicted to be done. If they did introduce something new and you have a link, I’d love to see what they’ve created.
          Last edited by glitchy; November 16, 2022, 12:33 PM. Reason: typo

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          glitchy Yeah, I was trying to find the grill jfmorris mentioned after seeing this thread and I looked at those Weber grills with the "smart" technology. They are supposed to tell you when your food is done or when to flip but they do not regulate the temperature automatically.

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh you’re right. I saw what I thought was a temperature probe in the grill, so I automatically figured it was thermostat controlled. Oops!

I keep seeing the desire for this and have mixed feelings about how great I think it would be personally. One of the best features of a 3 plus burner gas grill is the ease of multi-zone cooking. The current offering I see seems to lose that feature. On the contrary to that, having an outdoor temp regulated oven could be nice at times and a single zone controlled gasser could definitely do that. Since my MAK can easily replace an oven, I’ll probably hold out until something that can do at least 2 zones arrives or has the ability to flip between auto and manual.

Comment

They're coming folks. I'm testing a new one made by Nexgrill. NEXGRILL!!! Some nice features but the jury is still out. Here's my "Coming Soon" Page: https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...ill-neevo-720/

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I know you're not done yet but this typo jumped out at me "Neevo 720 Smart Grill With Are Fryer".

• Max Good
            Max Good commented
            Editing a comment
            Attjack Oops! Thanks for the correction!

Thermometer-controlled grilling (direct heat): Makes no sense
          Thermometer-controlled roasting (indirect heat): Makes perfect sense (it's called an oven)

... for now at least, it seems a bit like another solution in search of a problem.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I still think it could be handy to have an oven mode. Works for me on my Kamado although I feel like the charcoal adds flavor whereas a gas oven likely doesn't.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here