Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rust on Camp Chef Somerset IV Outdoor Gas Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rust on Camp Chef Somerset IV Outdoor Gas Range

Last June, I reported that after 2 years of frequent use, my Camp Chef Somerset IV outdoor gas range had a few rust spots on the stainless steel front piece. They looked like this:

June 2021 photos
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1896.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	1297223

Name:	IMG_1895.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1297222

Name:	IMG_1894.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1297226

So I followed Uncle Bob 's advice and cleaned them up with a slurry of Barkeeper's Friend powder followed by Weiman Stainless Steel Cleaner and Protectant. Jim Morris, jfmorris also followed this regimen on his 2 year old Genesis II gas grill and got spectacular results.

Fast forward a year. Now the front panel of my CC Somerset IV gas range looks like this:

Name:	July 2022 Rust on CC Range 1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1297224

Name:	July 2022 Rust on CC Range 2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	1297225

It's a year later, and it seems as though every place I wiped with Barkeeper's Friend (with a soft cloth) and then treated with Weiman's SS Cleaner and Protectant has developed streaks of rust where the cloth touched.

I only have these spots on the section where the burner controls are: the rest of the gas range looks fine.

So should I give it another treatment, or should I contact Camp Chef for ideas? Or both?

Kathryn

fzxdoc Kathryn I had forgotten all about that from June 2021.

I just went out and pulled the cover off the Genesis II and snapped a few photos. Note that I doubt I have uncovered that grill more than a half dozen times in the year since I worked on the rust spots per this post here:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...77#post1052977

Also note that I have not been giving this grill much TLC or even cleaned it much if at all since June 2021. Also note that I put a lot of elbow grease into my scrubbing the side tables with Barkeeper's friend powder on a damp/wet sponge. I wasn't gentle with it at all.

Here is the top and front edge of each side table, and a closer shot of the center of the control panel, as across the top of that front stainless piece was a problem area before too I think.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9657.jpg Views:	25 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	1297238 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9658.jpg Views:	24 Size:	2.32 MB ID:	1297237 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9659.jpg Views:	25 Size:	2.27 MB ID:	1297236 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9660.jpg Views:	23 Size:	2.43 MB ID:	1297239 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9661.jpg Views:	23 Size:	2.36 MB ID:	1297240

As you can see, while the grill is not super clean, the rust has also not returned in 1 year. It looks nothing like those before photos in the other post, or like your photos today.

One difference I will point out is that you use your Somerset IV a lot more than I use my Genesis II, and I use the Genesis II a lot less now than I did the first year or two I had it, when the rust developed. I am speculating that heat from use is bringing on this issue, with the lower grades of stainless all the grills seem to be using these days. I can tell you right now that my ORIGINAL Slow 'N Sear, over 5 years old, which was made from 304 stainless, back when they laser etched a logo into each one (made in USA I think then), is not as discolored or rusty looking as the much newer Slow 'N Sear Deluxe, which is made of 430 stainless, and came with my SNS Deluxe Kamado that I got as the January 2021 giveaway grand prize. The 1 year 9 month old SNS Deluxe from 2021 looks much worse than the 5 year old SNS original from 2017, and I attribute that to the cheaper stainless steel.

While it won't hurt to call Camp Chef, it may also not do much good, as they no longer make the Somerset, and may not have replacement parts for you, and they also specifically state in their warranty that paint and finishes are not covered. That is why I didn't bother to call them about the bezels peeling on my Camp Chef FTG900 when it was less than a year old. That plus I was going to have to do a complete disassembly to replace those bezels.

If Camp Chef won't help you, you may just have to tackle it more aggressively with the Barkeeper's friend, and just make that an annual maintenance task.
    Last edited by jfmorris; September 21, 2022, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Weber replaced the outer parts on my Weber Spirit after they were full of rust after 3 years. Now 2 years later the new parts are showing signs of rust over most areas. I'm of the belief that the stainless used on these grills are just not rustproof.

The stainless on my M16 M Grill is a different story. Never a sign of rust, but it stains from the heat and grease. The solution is to wipe it with 3M Red Scotch brite pads, assuming you already have a brushed finish. These pads make the grill look like new, but require a bit of work.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, at least Weber has pretty much a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty on most of their current grills like the Spirit. Heck, I have a Weber Genesis Silver A made in 2002 that still is under the 25 year warranty on body burn through (cast aluminum). I think everything else in that warranty is over though.

Sadly Camp Chef does not warrant paint or finishes on their grills, so while they may offer some advice to Kathryn, I don't think they will offer to replace any of the parts.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here