Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Griddle on gas grill…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Griddle on gas grill…

Well, it definitely works, and works well. This is the D&G from S&S Grills, on my Broil King with burners set to medium high.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E23524C2-ECE8-4F8E-9B7B-BF5C70F2FBC7.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.59 MB ID:	1253808

You’d think that extra space in the corners wouldn’t be important, but it is. The eggs have to go on separately while the bacon drains:

Click image for larger version  Name:	5660C7E0-63D7-4B15-86DB-4D37B503A5CE.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.96 MB ID:	1253809

This all leads to, "Why, Mosca? Why would you do this?" Well, first, proof of concept. I was so busy wondering if I could do it, I hadn’t considered if I should do it. Thankfully, it worked out. Other benefits? Not cleaning the stovetop comes into play. Cleaning this griddle is a PITA, but it beats the stovetop. (But the oven wins that one, easily.) And being outside in the sun beats being in the kitchen, no matter how nice the kitchen is. (Talk to me in February, I might think differently on that one.)

Oh, the payoff: BLECT breakfast sandwiches!

Click image for larger version  Name:	D7C295E4-20DD-44A2-9CF4-9C78F7A70A02.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.92 MB ID:	1253811

And the best damn peaches we’ve had in years.

Click image for larger version  Name:	19268EF4-9175-4A79-961E-FF8F23F88192.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.87 MB ID:	1253810
    Last edited by Mosca; July 14, 2022, 08:18 AM.

How many burners does that grill have?

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      3. This setup really only needs 2 of them though. I started with 3, then turned off the far left. I moved the D&G to the left for the photos, to minimize the sun/shade contrast that was screwing with the auto exposure.

I plan on using mine on my Genesis II. For me it's about not heating up the house when it's 105.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      It works great. I started with the burners on medium low, wound up on medium high. An IR thermometer helps, I was shooting for around 400°.

We’ve had a beautiful summer so far in the Mid-Atlantic. We’ve had enough really hot ones, this is fine by me!

Food looks good!

Comment

I only use the center and right burners on my EP-330 for griddling. It works perfectly, so you should be fine, Jerod Broussard .

Click image for larger version

Name:	487723D4-1182-40D6-8486-EED4745F6C65.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	1253839

Comment

Yup, I just used a cast iron griddle on my sis’ Char Broil. Used 3 of 4 burners in Toledo smash burgers.

Comment

Very cool. Have you ever tried simply laying your bacon directly on the grates, then when it's half or mostly done crack a couple eggs right on the bacon?

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I tried it with upside down Grill Grates. The bacon came out good, but the eggs ran down the little holes before they came anywhere close to setting.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan Yep and got the pic to prove it! Mosca if you lay the bacon slices on each other like shingles and cook hot-but-indirect, they will cook relatively flat and the eggs will stay on them and set. It takes careful timing though so they're both done properly as you like them. It's not a precise way for egg doneness by any means, but it's a fun cook!

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            That sounds so cool! Eggs on bacon.

I regularly use a cast iron griddle (or 2, depending) on my Summit for cooking bacon, works great. Only issue is grease draining, which is why I keep looking at a dedicated griddle (or the CampChef Pro series with a griddle). How my burners are set up depends on if I'm using 1 or 2 pans (the Summit has 6, so lots of options).

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            When it’s time to replace the gasser, I’m replacing it with a griddle. All of my gas grill cooks are hamburgers, hot dogs, and chicken thighs. With the griddle I can add bacon, eggs, pancakes, cheesesteaks, etc.

• Dan Deter
            Dan Deter commented
            Editing a comment
            Mosca I like my gasser, and will probably have to replace it some day. I want a CampChef Pro 16 (used to be the Pro 90X) for giving me griddle capability and outdoor burners for other uses, and to take camping.

griddle master saved my gas grill.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Mine too. Really nice surface.

Used the Lodge griddle in the past. Works very well.

Comment

I've used the DNG on my gas grill in the past in the same manner. But like you point out - that stainless is a LOT harder to clean than my cast iron or my flat top. You would think it would me more non-stick than it is, but that isn't the case.

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree Jim, I’ve used my DNG only twice as a griddle. PIA to clean. With my new Pit Boss I’ll never use it as a griddle again.

I have a 13 x 20” home made SS griddle that came from a yard sale, it fits perfectly on my Napoleon gas grill, I use it for cooking bacon, it works well but it is more difficult to clean and it is not non stick. I spray it with Pam before hand and that helps, the nice thing is it holds the bacon grease and it can easily be poured into a grease can after. I tried a cast iron lodge griddle once but the clean up of the bacon grease after was very messy.
          I am looking for a two burner PittBoss griddle like Panhead John/Uncle Bob purchased.

Name:	A69AE288-2422-44C6-BCDD-34562B4D9EF6.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	1254282

Comment

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            I’ve only done 2 cooks on my Pit Boss so far, but man, I am impressed with how easy it is to clean. I don’t clean it till the next day, but all I have to do is wipe it off with paper towels. Everything comes off so easily.

I like the look of Made-In's new griddle.

Name:	image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.shopify.com%2Fs%2Ffiles%2F1%2F2131%2F5111%2Fproducts%2FGriddle-PDP-1.jpg%3Fv%3D1655325942&w=1400&q=75.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	1254288

Comment

Everything looks so good. I'm glad I already ate!

Comment

I have two GriddleGrates from Grill Grates and they work really well on my gas grill. They get seasoned and nothing (so far) sticks to them. I have done grouper, tuna, burgers, steaks and chicken and really like these things.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a set for my Weber Spirit and the flat side is money.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here