Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this exist? Natural gas question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this exist? Natural gas question

Trying to prep a bit for the next time a hurricane knocks out power for a week. Because propane refills can get iffy after an outage, l’m trying to find a small natural gas set up, either a portable sized grill or a camp style double burner. Any suggestions? (Google and manufacturer sites have not been helpful.) Thanks!

Camp Chef has conversion kits available.
    You might also want to consider a camp stove that will run on gasoline. I have one of these for camping and emergencies.
    Last edited by willxfmr; April 3, 2022, 04:04 PM.

Comment

There’s always charcoal….

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Said in jest but actually a good idea! A used Weber and a bag of charcoal gets you in and out for probably $50, and hey, it’s temporary, right? RIGHT?

• WillTravelForFood
        WillTravelForFood commented
        Editing a comment
        Wasn't entirely in jest. In a pinch, and barring having a gas hookup done in time, there's nothing wrong with an old-school approach.

If not a formal grill, then a cooking grate of some sort over a firepit could also be an option.

Almost all Camp Chef products have a natural gas conversion kit available. Converting from LP to NG requires drilling out the burner orifice to a larger opening, and replacing the regulator with a simple hose to a NG quick connect.

Another option is just a NG gas grill, or converting a grill you already have over to NG.

Comment

When I purchased my Ebay 6 burner some 15 years ago I converted it to NG. I fitted a low pressure regulator off the shelf at the local BBQ place. Some creative plumbing with hoses & fittings from the same place. As jfmorris mentioned above, drill out the jets and you're good to go. I recall a figure of 2.5mm orifice, easy to drill the brass jets & I have been destroying meat on it ever since haha
        Last edited by Stuey1515; April 4, 2022, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Does you home have natural gas? A few years back I converted a portable generator to run on natural gas. This would give you the option of powering a variety of things during an outage along with a pellet pooper.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep - I think I will be buying one of those kits at some point, now that I know its an option. May not make sense on a 3750W generator, but then again, the generator works and was paid for long ago.

• Dick Anderson
            Dick Anderson commented
            Editing a comment
            You might find this useful: motorsnorkel.com/product/motorsnorkel/msk3101

• Bkhuna
            Bkhuna commented
            Editing a comment
            jfmorris The beauty of a conversion kit is that it allows for portability. Heading out on a camping trip? Load up some gas and take the generator to the field. Running a pellet pooper? When the power goes out, take it go the back yard and run it on natural gas.

There are even tri-fuel versions.

Originally posted by Stuey1515 View Post
          When I purchased my Ebay 6 burner some 15 years ago I converted it to NG. I fitted a low pressure regulator off the shelf at the local BBQ place. Some creative plumbing with hoses & fittings from the same place. As jfmorris mentioned above, drill out the jets and you're good to go. I recall a figure of 2.5mm orifice, easy to drill the brass jets & I have been destroying meat on it ever since haha
          Stuey1515 , Your recollection of 2.5mm (0.0635") could be correct, depending on NG line pressure and BTUs desired. As the attached table shows, that size orifice would provide ~14.500 BTU at 7 PSI pressure. The numbers across the top are pressures in PSI and the numbers in the left-most column are drill numbers, with decimal equivalents to the right. The bulk of the table is BTU. There is more to this table in an Excel spreadsheet. PM me with your email if you want a copy of the full table.

I converted a Jenn-Air propane grill to NG many years ago using this table. I also added a 7 PSI regulator to the end of the hard line, just to be sure my heat would be correct. The as-provided NG line pressure was higher, I think 10 PSI. I highlighted the numbers for the three burners on my Jenn-Air.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Bruceski44
            Bruceski44 commented
            Editing a comment
            OOOPS! IMPORTANT CORRECTION!

I just double-checked my math and realized 2.5 mm is actually 0.0984" Sorry! In that case, that drill size would provide substantially higher BTU. When converting, you should try to match the same BTUs as the propane grill was designed for. Unless you want a serious cooking challenge!

Wow! So much great info, thank you all!!
          Last edited by UncleRobo; April 5, 2022, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here