Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New gas tank, or filled used tank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New gas tank, or filled used tank?

For my used gasser I got for free. A new tank is about $50-60. But then I have to pay for the purge, and then pay for the fill. Or, I can go to the mini mart and pick up a full used tank for $63. Sure, it isn’t as full. But I don’t care about getting a new tank, and the gas will probably last two years, since most of the heavy lifting on my deck will be handled by the BGE and the Weber.

Get the new tank.
    11.76%
    Get the full used tank.
    88.24%

The poll is expired.

I can get tanks filled at the U-Haul truck rental place, but they're really picky about any amount of rust being on the tank and they won't fill if there's any rust. Home Depot on the other hand has an automatic system where you pay inside and type in your code outside and no one inspects the tank you turn in. So my latest move was to take an old tank and exchange it for a newer filled tank at Home Depot, and then I have started going to Ace Hardware for subsequent fills because they put more in there than Home Depot or the U-Haul place. That still doesn't help you decide, I guess.

I think if I were you I might go with the initial $63 filled tank at the mini mart and then look for a place, like Ace Hardware where you can get it filled cheaper than exchanging it back at the mini mart?

Comment

Get the used tank. It's more convenient, plus you can get it refilled (not just exchanged) at a local hardware store as long as it's still in certification.
      If it's out of cert by the time it's empty, then it's time to pony up for a new tank. Or just exchange it for a newer tank from any of the million places that do the exchanges - they generally don't even examine the tanks being turned in (although the prices reflect that, along with the fact that you only get 15 lbs instead of the full 20)

Comment

I refill my tanks at BJ's (replace with wherever you get the best price) until they are out of date/I notice a problem and then I exchange them for a currently certified tank. Repeat.

Comment

I go used.
          When mine expire I go to the refurbed-refilled kiosk get a newer one and keep on refilling until it expires again.
          I have three tanks for them times when you run out at the wrong time.
          On my last full one now when it dies I`ll do all three usually lasts me 9-12 months.

Comment

Get one with a fuel gauge. Just suggesting.

Comment

My local hardware store will let me exchange old empty tanks for newer (certified) empty tanks at no cost as long as I fill the newer tank. Definitely the best option, so it's probably worth asking at your local places.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here