Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reading temperature on a flat griddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reading temperature on a flat griddle

can I lay a fireboard probe on the griddle or just above it. I have an ir gun.

My gut says no. Griddles are several hundred degrees and will likely burn up the probe (not necessarily really catch it on fire, but ruin it). The IR gun should be fine.
    Last edited by rickgregory; November 10, 2021, 01:24 PM.

Comment

I'm with rickgregory here. I am curious as to why you'd want to use a Fireboard probe rather than just the IR gun though? For record keeping with the app or some other reason? If you insist on using a Fireboard probe, make sure you get at least a RTD probe that can handle the heat.

Comment

Stick with the IR gun. The temperature is going to vary at least a little all over the surface of the griddle, so measuring one tiny spot wouldn't be all that useful, imho.

Comment

Shoot it.

Comment

I would use the IR gun. The probe would probably work, but stick with the gun.

Comment

IR gun here as well. Very handy tool.

Comment

Ditto on the IR gun. I have a cheap one, I've wondered if buying a better one would be beneficial, but I don't think using a probe would be very helpful.

Comment

Isn't that what IR guns are designed for?

Comment

I see you’ve received the correct answer multiple times. But … just in case you missed it:

IR Gun

Comment

I use griddles and cast iron skillets on the grill all the time .... and I temp them with my IR gun :-)

Comment

Here's a nice one, you can check the temps from the next room: https://www.testequity.com/product/2...All%20Products

Comment

Besides, IR guns are just more fun

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here