Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotisserie help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotisserie help

I have a Delta Heat with three U-shaped side-by-side bottom burners and a ceramic IR burner along the back. What is the right configuration to cook a chicken on the rotisserie spit? Do I light the two outer burners and the back burner; just the back burner; or some other arrangement?

What is the best heat adjustment for the burner(s): back burner high and bottom burners low; back burner low and bottom burners high; everything as low as it goes; or what? I assume the middle bottom burner is off on all cases.

The spit cradle has two positions, one about 3 inches forward of the other. They're both the same height (4") above the bottom grates. What is the rule here: Should the meat be as close to the IR as possible, or as far away as possible?

Thanks

Normally if you have a dedicated rotisserie burner, that would be the only one I would turn on. Rotisserie cooking is about IR or radiant heat and spinning the meat to expose it to that heat source without leaving any one part directed towards it too long.

I rotisserie on a kettle with the Weber rotisserie ring, and the coals are either in a basket (or SNS) or banked to one side of the charcoal grate, and are pretty far from the turkey or chicken (those are the only things I've used it for). I imagine you would move to the forward position if what you are cooking is larger (turkey?) versus smaller (chicken, pork loin?).

Comment

I have a rotisserie on my 6 burner summit, with a dedicated IR burner in the back. For me, when doing chickens, the configuration is the outer 2 burners on high, middle 2 off. The remaining 2 are either off or on low depending on outside temp. The rotisserie IR burner is on initially, and stays on for the first 20 minutes. This crisps the skin nicely. Longer than that will burn and blacken the skin. After 20 minutes the IR burner is turned off, and he heat is all indirect while they spin. Approximately 15 minutes per pound, until the breast is 165 and the legs/thighs are 175 F.

I only have one position for the spit, so can't help you there.

This is my go-to site for rotisserie tips: https://www.dadcooksdinner.com/rotisserie-index/

Comment

When I'm not sure I read the instructions, and I start from there. That is my scientific Wild Guess.
        Post your pics of your cook and the process you used.
        Happy Grilling to you and PBR too.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          What did the instructions say for the side of beef you're grilling in your avatar??

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee to save a lot the trouble I Folded it in double.
          Almost a square and grilled to medium-rare,
          The Bone I had to break for heaven's sake before I cooked my steak.
          It added a little flair, to taste table fair.
          Last edited by bbqLuv; July 30, 2021, 07:25 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here