Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hatch Chile Roaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hatch Chile Roaster

So Hatch Chile now offers table top chile roasters. Quite expensive especially for a manual crank. Since I order at least 10lbs every year I thought this might be an easier and more efficient way to roast them as opposed to on my gasser. Does anyone have something like this either stand alone or an accessory they like?

I have basket on a rotisserie that my brother gave me, I have no idea where he got it. I put it on my gasser because that's the only rig I have that is set up for a roto, but I use a LP weed burner torch to scorch the peppers. It's similar to this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/onlyfire-...=sem&gclsrc=ds

Comment

Do you have a rotisserie for your gasser? If so, look here:

Comment

• Rod
        Rod commented
        Editing a comment
        RonB I used to have a rotisserie for my Weber Genesis. The problem was trying to roast a chicken you have to remove the grill grates and even with the legs tied they would still want to drag across the flavorizer bars. So a basket accessory would have to be super small and would only be able to roast a handful of chiles at a time.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Rod - if ya roast 'em with the lid open, you should be able to rig something that raises the rotisserie enough to do the job.

One of the things they do over here during the Hatch season is sell them pre-roasted. HEB has a big sidewalk roasting machine they crank those puppies out fresh. Surprised they don't do that over your way in AZ.

Comment

• Rod
        Rod commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman I'm sure there are places here especially at some of the Mexican markets. I just like doing them myself.

• lonnie mac
        lonnie mac commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep! One of my favorite times at my HEB. Man the smell! Either fresh boiled crawfish, or roasted Hatch.

The rotisserie basket idea sure seems like a good way to go.

That said, someone educate me here. Are you roasting the chiles until they are dry, to preserve them, or just roasting to eat fresh? What do you do with them?

My only exposure to Hatch chiles right now is the dried flakes I got from Flatiron Pepper Company, and the Hatch Green Chili blend from them is my favorite. I eat it on everything.

Comment

• Rod
        Rod commented
        Editing a comment
        crazytown3 I normally use the gasser. Last year I tried it on my 26" kettle and ended up burning a few due to hot and cold spots. They are kind of a pain to blacken evenly when you get a bunch that are all bent and twisted. That's why I figured a rotisserie type basket would alleviate that issue. Plus MCS and all that.

• crazytown3
        crazytown3 commented
        Editing a comment
        10-4 on that good buddy.

• cgrover60
        cgrover60 commented
        Editing a comment
        Roasting fresh chile does two things jfmorris. It makes it possible to peel for use and adds flavor just as a good sear on a steak adds flavor. An added benefit is an aroma that is a special kind of heaven.

After doing some searching around, looks like Hatch's prices are about in line with other companies. Just don't know about the quality. One of them I found had people complaining about the flames just billowing out and leaving soot on the chiles.

Comment

I really like that table top roaster idea providing the gas jets are throwing "afterburner" flames for a rapid intense char roasting small to moderate batches and would be way more efficient than trying to roast on the grill which I know from experience. Would be especially handy if you're growing a few chile plants to roast your harvest every day.

Comment

This one by Santa Barbara Chili Roasters is $80 or so cheaper. It holds up to 21 lbs. However, I haven't googled any reviews of it.

https://www.santabarbarachiliroaster...drum-regulator

Click image for larger version  Name:	cr-barbacoa-1-w01_1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.5 KB ID:	1057357

Comment

• Rod
            Rod commented
            Editing a comment
            58limited That's the one where a couple people complained about billowy flame and soot.

They’re currently running a giveaway for their small roaster. Just subscribe to their emails and you’re in. Looks pretty killer.

Comment

• Rod
            Rod commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. Done did that.

I feel like i Need one of these jsut to see what else I could put in there. LOL

I picture this thing full of brats or hotdogs, just rolling around getting roasted.. (IDK why I think that is funny)

Comment

• Murdy
            Murdy commented
            Editing a comment
            you could probably roast your own coffee beans

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            That is a worthwhile endeavor. Murdy

Looks like I discovered who is making the chile roasters for Hatch. So you can buy direct for $50 cheaper, but twice the lead time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HATCH.PNG
Views:	519
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	1059193

Click image for larger version

Name:	METALWORKS.PNG
Views:	516
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	1059194

Comment

Rottiserie baskets on Amazon are all $ 50 or less. This one is $ 29.00. Seems a no brainer to setup a couple burner unit from scratch if you want to use gas instead of a charcoal grill as I would. I'm salivating just thinking about roasting/smoking peps in this.

Comment

I was over at the Miller welding site and ran across this. https://www.millerwelds.com/resource...i-roaster/6754 Nice looking project.

Comment

Growing up here, we always just roast ours on whatever grill we already have. Unless you’re doing the big 50lb bags all at once this usually works just fine.

Of course, I’m not sure that you have a grill of your own.😂

Comment

• barelfly
                  barelfly commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Isn’t it nice to be able to have this done in the commercial rosters all at once! All 2-3 bags

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here