Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas Grill Spark Generator - who knew ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Grill Spark Generator - who knew ???

Since it's finally a bright sunny day in the upper left corner, near Seattle, I decided it was time to clean up the gasser for another season of grilling. Now, this is an ancient Brinkmann gasser, 4 burners and a side burner, and a sink/cooler on one side that I removed a long time ago, it just became a catchall for "stuff" . It has to be at least 25+ years old, very heavy and solid cart construction, and stainless doors, operator panel and covers. It's heavy!! I pledged when I bought it it would be my last gas grill, I wanted something durable and long lasting.

Over the years, it has been treated to a new set of cast iron burners, and a few cooking grate replacements. I think I got the last two sets of burners for this thing about 15 years ago, and I have one full set of replacements NIB. The only upgrades have been a set of Grill Grates to cover half the width, and they just sit on top of the ceramic coated grates.

I pulled the cover off (it lives outdoors on my deck, and has its whole life) to persuade the spiders to leave, and burn off what was left of last year's residue on the grates. Well, the spark ignition didn't work, and its seen better days.The rubber surrounding the push button has disintegrated. Well, I never gave these things much thought, they just seem to work. I imagined they were some sort of piezo device, like the smaller ones on my Weber tabletop grills. I suspected they were a commodity type of item, so I jumped on Amazon to see if I could find a replacement. Lots to choose from. But - and this is the part that amazed me - they all use a AA battery! I had no clue!! I'm flabbergasted - the original AA battery is still in mine, and it worked last season! It must have been the best OEM AA battery ever made. I unscrewed the button and pulled it out, it has visually failed in the leaking mode, and I suspect the internals of the spark generator have now rotted away.

Well, $12 and I can have a new one on my doorstep tomorrow. Good for another 25 years!

Pretty amazing. 25 years. Wow.

Comment

Thats about like finding a $20 bill in your pocket! Good job.

Comment

Did they make AA s back then? Did they make batteries back then? 25 years, wow!

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Back then they were "aa" or "aaa".
          Last edited by HawkerXP; March 30, 2021, 07:03 PM. Reason: B

Huh. I just booted up my Camp Chef Sear Box for the first time yesterday and it wouldn't spark. Had to light it with a lighter. Now I wonder.... <Scratches head>.

Comment

• BruceB
          BruceB commented
          Editing a comment
          Lots of varieties on Amazon. Search on "spark Generator" Pull the old one out to see the configuration. Usually have a slide-on connector for each sparker.

That's awesome, they sure don't make things to last like that anymore, planned obsolescence keeps the manufacturers (and the off-shore manufacturers) rolling in the green. I have a 25 y/o, several times refurbished Weber Genesis gasser that I will never part with. Well, as long as I can still get parts anyways.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here