Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Want a new gasser.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had a Weber gasser for nine years and it does it's job pretty well. The three things on the Napoleon Prestige Pro I really like is how hot the sear station can get (1700-1800 degrees), the lights around the controls and I really like that it has two interior lights. I do a lot of cooks in the winter and while my converted desk lamp does work something internal would be preferred. Having a rotisserie with a back burner included doesn't hurt my feelings either.

Comment

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      My 2005 Summit has the back burner...very nice feature IMO.

Interior lights wouldn’t be a game changer for me, I’ve installed outdoor lighting pretty much everywhere that I might regularly cook. Everywhere I’ve lived, my parents house, several friends homes, my GFs house... LOL

The sear station is the one thing I don’t have on mine...but I do have a side burner. That combined with a CI pan can overcome that. Still, a dedicated burner or two wouldn’t be a bad thing.

This thread is really helpful. I am also considering a new gas grill, and am leaning heavily towards the Napoleons. My current Weber is a 500 sq in cook area, and while its sufficient, I am thinking to maybe go up to 665. More flexibility for cooking multiple things, and I like to use my gas grill for light smoking (I know, I know...but it works for me!) and having some more space gives more versatility on where to put the smoker box and how much meat I can get in there. I am usually cooking for like 4-6 people so 500 can manage, but feels like it cant hurt to have a little more space if I am buying something new anyway?

Trying to decide between the Prestige RSIB and the Pro. Money isnt really the issue for me if its worth it, but Im not sure that the Pro upgrades matter a whole lot to me. From what I understand they are mainly:
    - interior lighting (which requires power); would be nice but I would need to run power to the grill so maybe a cheapo attached lighting solution will suffice
    - integrated smoker tube and burner - this sounds nice as I do like to cook things on low and get some smokiness. Compared to just using smoke boxes, does anyone have experience with how well this works?
    - better cabinet - would be helpful
    - I think both come with stainless grates in the main, but the Pro comes with stainless on the sear burner as well?

Would love any thoughts on my grill size selection or why I should splurge on the Pro?

Thanks guys!

Comment

• GolfGeezer
      GolfGeezer commented
      Editing a comment
      lirong I think you've highlighted the main differences. The better cabinet with slide-out propane tank holder and built-in shelves were big pluses for me (being tall and old). The sear burner does come with an SS grate versus cast iron. I like the interior lights even though I have patio lighting. Needing power for that was not an issue for me as I have a MAK pellet pooper, so already powered up in that area. Since I have a smoker, I don't use the Napoleon for smoking. Hope that helps.

I would say Napoleons are a top contender. I personally would also look at the higher end Broil King grills. I have a Broil King Baron 5 burner, and I love it. Their high end grills are pretty good.

Comment

I have also been going through this process. I got stuck on phantom vs prestige pro 500, because I thought the cast SS grates were something super special. Having read a lot on this site now, I can see that if anything they are a net negative, because they reduce the surface area of radiant heat exposed to the food, because they are so thick.

I made this slightly crackers spreadsheet to help me decide. I went for the p pro 500 in the end.

I think the build, the interior lights and the grates are all fantastic.

Priority Phantom Prestige 500 Prestige Pro 500
      1 1 1 0.5 = 3.5 1 1 1 1 1 = 5
      Grates 2 1 Cast stainless 1 9.5mm SS 1
      Under lid lights 1 2 No Yes 1
      Colour Black 0.5 Silver 1
      Design 1 Overall nicer design 1 Afterthought chrome
      No wires Wires - tripping?
      Nicer thermometer Less nice thermometer
      Material 1 440 SS 304 SS 1
      Warranty 1 Lifetime, but 2 years for the matt blk finish Lifetime 1
      Warming rack SS SS
      IR side burner Yes Yes
      Cast alu tub Yes Yes
      Cover included (£80) Yes Yes
      Price 1 2350 1 £2,500.00
      Save 150

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        So I’m not the only nut that creates a spreadsheet for buying decisions.
        Good to know. LOL

If I decide to replace my Weber...the Napoleon is currently the top contender.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here