Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Char-Broil Tru infrared 3 in 1 roaster smoker grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Char-Broil Tru infrared 3 in 1 roaster smoker grill

A coworker is asking about this cooker. I didn’t find a review but I may have missed it. Does anyone have experience with this. Or Char Broil in general? Thanks for your help.

You might want to look into their "boutique" brand, Saber. More expensive, but good. There are reviews on the public side.

Comment

• Willard
      Willard commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF I was unaware of that. Thank you. I will pass it on.

The saber as well as professional or commercial are great.

Comment

I have the Tru Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill and that's all I'm seeing when I google what you're saying... assuming that's what you mean. They make an electric one too but I only have experience with the gas one.

First off it is an AMAZING bird cooker.

What it isn't though is a smoker... at least not out of the box. The smoke box is hard to keep lit at the lowest temps, a lot of people use a cake ring or buy a "tommy ring" to run pellets or smoke chips around the outside of the basket. I put out a few good pork butts but didn't have much success with trickier cuts of meat. It can be done and there are a few folks actually using them for competitions. I found the best resource for that cooker to be the Lets Talk BBQ forums.

As a grill it works pretty good, though the surface area isn't that great so you can only do so much food at a time.

I don't remember if it came with a cover or not, but a cover is a must. The powder coat is pretty low quality.

I modified mine with a vent on the top, some folks add one to the bottom too.

In my opinion it puts out the best turkey ever. It's not exactly the same as fried, but so much better than baked. Bonus is you can collet drippings for gravy. If you time deep frying from start of flame to finish of bird, this thing is pretty much just as fast, plus the cleanup is much easier and no wasted oil. I spray peanut oil on mine 3 times during the cook and side by side with a fried bird it's not easy to tell which is which. I've cooked a ton of whole chickens in it as well.

It's a great cooker for an apartment, the camper, or as an addition to someone's MCS collection. I got by with it as my sole grill for a few months when my big gasser took a dump on me.

If he has any specific questions I'm happy to answer them.

Comment

• Willard
        Willard commented
        Editing a comment
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs Thanks for the information. It’s not the Big Easy. It’s an offer he found on HSN. Strangley, I could not find it on the Char Broil website. It looks s little like a bullet style cooker. I watched a guy do a YouTube review. It’s called what I entered in the topic title and sells for $169 I believe, marked down from about 250. Maybe this is specially licensed to HSN.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        It looks like the same grill to me? I think I got mine for 220 a few years ago. Should be the same pros and cons for both models.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here