Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tru-Infrared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tru-Infrared

Sense the Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 is rated so high on the AR website I had a chance to pick one up for $80.00 I bought it hope it works as advertised it has no scratches or dents but the box was damaged thus the price, I mainly want it for reverse searing as my COS fire box grill is to small. Has any one used one of these? & if so do you have any comments on it's use?

Sounds like a great score! I hope you keep us posted.

Comment

I have not heard of that. But a quick search I find I may need one of those!! I've been looking for a better way to sear off the steaks I just sous vide. (I now use Pan Searing, works ok but high heat like you can get from a IR cooker would be perfect.) I will be looking into that tell us how it worked!

Comment

, GadjetGriller, Well here are the pictures. I could have seared it longer but this was the first try & I let the stake (Rib-Eye) temp. get a little higher than I wanted before searing. Master says warp 10 well this Grill2Go X200 will get there & all the way to warp 14 if you let it & in a short time. It was about 88 dg. outside & 25+mph wind You guys wanted to Know how it worked so I enclosed Photos. what do you think? Well I tried to up load photos but could not it says to large over 2mb. Looks like that issue is fixed. Sense lighting was bad 2 of the photos are with flash to see if it helped.
        Dave

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	238.3 KB
ID:	179211Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	179212Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	179213Click image for larger version

Name:	
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	179214

Comment

• Darchie03
          Darchie03 commented
          Editing a comment
          GadjetGriller, I was looking & see that Amazon has some used ones that are less than a $100.00 & are said to be like new if you are interested.

• GadjetGriller
          GadjetGriller commented
          Editing a comment
          Sure Darchie03 I'll go look tonight (unfortunately real world things have to get done today, Dont you just hate that!!)

• Darchie03
          Darchie03 commented
          Editing a comment
          GadjetGriller, I use to but the Real world left me behind a long time ago when I became retarded no that's not right, retired I get those 2 words mixed up all the time.
          Dave

Nice work Darchie03! Those look great, perhaps somewhere between medium-rare & medium? Still mighty fine if you ask me.

Comment

I've had a commercial series tru-infrared Charbroil for about 5 years (long enough to replace burners and emitter grates). It's been a great grill, especially for flare-prone items like brats & chicken. Low & slow is a bit tough, so I use another for those, but for steaks, burgers, etc., I've been well pleased. The only advice I would have is clean the emitter grates often, or you'll block all the small holes and the performance will decrease dramatically. Enjoy!

Comment

I’ve been scratching my head about getting something to sear meats cooked on my Traeger pellet smoker grill.

Criteria:

1. Doesn’t take up too much space.
          2. Quick and easy to set up and use and clean up.
          3. Gets high temps for searing.

I see these in the range of $125 used and wondering if it might fit the bill.

What kind of temps can be gotten at grill level with one of these units?

???

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	9E7CF6E1-08BA-4B20-A236-01C7553B87BB.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.10 MB ID:	986194Click image for larger version  Name:	DD3D19AD-ADD7-49D6-8696-459890B4534C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.70 MB ID:	986193 I have of these. Got it for $95 at Menards about four years ago. It is a searing machine! It really has one temp. BLAZIN hot. I never temped it at the grate but the gauge gets pinned in about 10 min. The regulator adjustment does very little. Think Blazin to Really Blazin as the range. That said, with a little practice, I learned to cook items nicely from start to finish on it. In fact I did some really tasty chicken thighs on it last week. One thing as noted above. Keep the grates well cleaned to keep the little holes clear otherwise you snuff out air flow and temps drop drastically.

Comment

Oh and I bought a cart for it and have the adaptor with 20lb tank on it. I really love it. I got it because it’s just my wife and I and got tired heating up the Weber Genesis for the small amount of food for just us.
              Last edited by Jfrosty27; February 7, 2021, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• zzdocxx
                zzdocxx commented
                Editing a comment
                That is great !

I first learned about these from a friend who moved into a new house that had one built in. I had never seen them before and wow it cooked up some carne asada flank or skirt or whatever it was in just a few minutes !

So yeah I want to use it to sear the meat I cook on my smoker grill.

But if I can figure out how to do other stuff on it so much the better !

Thanks for your post !

Hey I just order a "used like new in original packaging" Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 from amazon for $116. Ordered a hose/fitting for another $16.

Looking forward to this, will get the grill in a week or so, probably be a couple of weeks to get a chance to use it .

Comment

Update, used liked new grill arrived, regulator knob broken ie. does not work properly.

Returning per amazon.

Maybe I'll buy a new one, I already bought a 4' hose and needle valve to use with it.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                  Jfrosty27 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bummer. I guess "like new" is a relative term.

A new regulator would cost ~$25+ shipping. I paid $116, that would bring the cost up to $141. new ones are in the range of $175. Still thinking about it but this one is not new though apparently unused, and another metal part was a bit bent.

There are some others for sale on craigslist locally. A couple are electric Char Broil infrared, not sure if those are as good as the gas ones ?

I already have a couple of 5# propane tanks, so the gas one is easy enough for me. Plus I don't see how one could take the electric one camping.

Glamping maybe.

Comment

• RevJim
                  RevJim commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just replaced my original regulator with one that gives a wider temperature range. It was $18. "Mr Heater F273769" on Amazon. I installed it this morning. It works well.

zzdocxx Camping World and Gander outdoors each has it for a buck thirty nine.

Comment

Had one for years in my camper. Hooked to a larger tank to grill. Used many times and loved it. I agree, it does get hot, real hot! Very little control over the output with the regulator knob. I learned to prop open the lid a little to get the temps down some in order to not "burn up" some things like chicken, etc.. Not ideal but with practice it did work. If you want HOT, this little grill is for you. Lowes carries this grill and I have seen it on sale in the $135 range. It is a solid product and you must keep it clean but that is easy to do. I do recommend it.

Comment

Been busy and just got back here.

Thanks for your input on this.

Love to, how's the clean up on this one?

The brass "needle valve" finally arrived, haha two weeks after I returned the grill itself.

The point of the valve is more finely tuned gas flow and ability to regulate the temp to much lower.

I'm thinking of using it mainly for searing. Meanwhile I've started looking at small ceramic burner infrared grills but they are rather pricey, Solaire makes a couple of small ones. I found an open box for $389 but I'm going to start checking craigslist.

Glad to hear positives on the charbroil and still in the running, best price new I had seen was ~$189, so thanks for the tip on that.

Last edited by zzdocxx; February 27, 2021, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• RevJim
                      RevJim commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I just added GrillGrates to my Grill2Go. They did great on burgers today. Rails up or flat griddle side up. I bought my Grill2Go a couple years ago to reverse sear meats cooked with sous vide. It has served me well.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here