Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talk me out of this brand or series. Can you??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk me out of this brand or series. Can you??

As I previously posted Sophia gave me the green light on a gasser. She wanted something small, cute and Home Depot-ish for a few hundred bucks. NEGATIVE!
    Homey don’t play that.

So I’m looking at the Broil King Regal S590 Pro but am thinking I might as well bite it and go the IR model.

Max Good likes the Signet and aluminum firebox but these have a SS firebox. Is that better?

i know guys I’m completely incompetent with this stuff. I’ll take a SS 5ply sauté pan etc but I know nothing of cooker builds.

I honestly thought I would automatically end up with a genesis as I’m a Weber guy. This broil king company has seriously caught my attention.

I want (I mean "We") 4 burners and a rotisserie at a minimum. I was at 1k but that was getting hard. Looks like 1,200 to 1,500 is the place to be.

I also like the beefy Commercial line from BK but that gets pricy too.

I like the burners, control valves and SS grates and flavor bars.

does anyone know if they all come with the "Zone separator" things for two zone cooking? I couldn’t see that.

is there something I’m missing? I noticed commentary of the quality of the build by BK on this thread topic in previous posts.

How are you current BK owners and your opinion?

admittedly I’m not a window shopper but I’m a good shopper in general and these gassers have me all turned around.

It’s like buying a mattress or trying to compare toilet paper/paper towels and brands.

Anybwords of wisdom or thoughts from you would be Very much appreciated.

HH
    Last edited by HouseHomey; July 7, 2020, 10:56 PM.

I hope many experienced owners will share their knowledge, Brother.
    I'll help ya with most anything, but I've never owned a gas grill in my life...

Comment

While I am a gasser driver (Weber EP-330), I’m a bit short in the wisdom department today. All I’ve got is buy high, sell low (🤔) ... and don’t eat the yellow snow.

Have fun with your quest for the perfect gasser, HH ...

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        There is a beer commercial that dispells the yellow snow theory.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Lmao!!

I have had a number of Weber gassers and I think they are great. I have had zero experience with a Broil King but have heard good things about them. Interested in this thread.

Comment

I have the Regal 420 and I’m very happy, it replaced a Weber genesis that rotted away after 7 years.

I’m fortunate enough to live close to a Broil King owned retail store, too see the whole line up is impressive but makes choosing a difficult.

Make sure to ask your retailer to throw in the cover, Broil King covers are a thing of beauty.

Comment

For me a gasser has to be capable of searing really well to make the results worth the convenience over charcoal.

Max calculates the heat flux I think in BTU/sqin on most of his gas grill reviews. Either look for something that can achieve a very high flux (~100) or make sure you have a decent size IR Burner.

Comment

Before I got my Summit I was seriously looking at Broil King. Good build quality and half the price (at the time, don't know now) of an equivalent Weber. I probably would have one now except I lucked out on Craigslist.

Comment

I got a Broil King 6 years ago, based on recs from this site. Baron 540 - 5 burners with a side burner.
              https://www.lowes.com/pd/Broil-King-...urner/50107116

I guess the don't sell this model anymore.

Put 2 grill grates upside down, on one side for a sear section.
              I love the thing.
              Solidly built. Does what it is supposed to. My ignition JUST stopped working last weekend..... after 6 years. Probably just needs a battery replaced.

2 zone cooking is easy. I just turn the right two burners under the grillgrates on, and leave the others off. Cool side runs about 230. I've set it up with a water pan and smoked ribs and pork butt for years. Only gotten a dedicated smoker in the last few months.

This is from the other week. Right two burners on FULL to char the elotes. All other burners off. Foil pouch on the right with some hickory chips.
              Left side ran 220-230. When the Mahi hit 110, moved it over to sear.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BroilKing.jpg Views:	0 Size:	18.8 KB ID:	877204

I would buy another Broil King tomorrow..... except I won't have to. This thing is a tank. I use it all year. It's under a carport, but gets some weather. Has held up fantastic.
              Their customer support was awesome the one time I had to call them..... and that was user error!

Cast Iron on the side burner will hit 500 deg.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BK CI.jpg Views:	0 Size:	15.9 KB ID:	877206

I give it a 13/13 Ribs ranking.
              I'm not sure it qualifies as "cute", but it is a very handsome grill. My wife, who cares far more about form than function, was very happy with the way it looked. Sophia will like it.

Broil King doesn't get enough love here.

Also - the stainless steel firebox has held up!! I can't speak to the trade offs between stainless steel vs aluminum. Duckman_OK or one of our other engineer/manufacturing friends might have some insight.
              Last edited by BFlynn; July 8, 2020, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• Davek8282
                Davek8282 commented
                Editing a comment
                HouseHomey if you haven't purchased yet Decades ago I had a Broil King with the aluminium firebox. After about 10 years the aluminium fatigued and the grates would no longer sit in place as the box had spread. At the time Broil King would have replaced free of charge, but 10 years I thought I had my money's worth and moved on.

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Davek8282 Thank you for the info. Nice to know the BK folk had you covered. This model for me is SS firebox. So what did you buy? Thanks again.

• Davek8282
                Davek8282 commented
                Editing a comment
                HouseHomey. I had moved and no longer had a Broil King Dealer close by so I went to a Napoleon. Another great brand that stood the test of time.

Scott is THE best TP.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Wait. This is starting to sound like a poll! FireMan

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                Charmin ultra strong. Everything else is inferior.

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                Walmart house brand for bum wad here....tough as nails....

You mentioned IR. Git it! I have an IR side burner on my Napoleon, best thing I ever did do. Yup! BroilKing is good equipment, Max says so, trust Max.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Dannnngggitt!!! IR "Heard." 1500 Hundo yessiree Bob.

Okay, enough with the tomfoolery Eric.........let's get serious here. You're a world famous chef who lives in an upscale community. You've got standards to meet, dare we say exceed. People look up to you with awe and admiration, they quiver with excitement whenever you make a presentation or lend guidance to mere mortals. You need to have a grill that is in keeping with your immense stature. Now, I'm not going full Kalamazoo on ya here, that would be far too ostentatious for the humble Homey...……….no, just a nice little middle of the road, but good quality, device that will have your neighbors and co-workers nodding in homage. Step up bud, to one of these; https://summersetgrills.com/collecti...built-in-grill .

I'm well acquainted with someone who will give it a hearty endorsement. And, as a plus, their headquarters are right there in your back yard. You guys is neighbors! Drop bye, I'm sure they'll be immediately impressed enough to give you the deal of the century since there won't be any of that shipping nonsense for them to put up with. And when they learn that you are a celebrity chef, the endorsement discounts would have to flow...………….don't forget to have them throw in the IR sear burner. Remember; Wolfgang and Eric are spelled with the same letters, just pronounced differently.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                You are killing me man. I’m dying!! Not even my cat likes me. Infamous perhaps.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Probly dont' even count as much as a hill o beans, But I still Love ya, Brother!

I haven't looked at the Broil King line up since I bought mine.
              Now that I know I'm can add a IR sear burner..... I might be in trouble

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                Uh Oh.

HouseHomey

You pull the trigger on this yet?

Comment

I’ve personally looked at the Broil King 590 at Lowe’s and it was impressive in my opinion. That said, I only know one person personally with a Broil King, and his complaints were this:

1. It runs hot, and it is hard to get the temp low with all burners on low. This plays into why Max Good said it’s a searing machine - it gets HOT.

2. All of his grates were non-coated cast iron and rusted up pretty bad. He thought they were coated and didn’t season them, as he had used Weber gassers before that. His solution was to buy GrillGrate factory seconds panels on sale.

I think he does most of his cooking on a Performer Deluxe he picked up for free from someone. Yeah - he is always lucky like that.

Comment

• BFlynn
                  BFlynn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jfmorris I've bought from them but im sure their emails get filtered like all the other promos.....
                  Better change that!!

• HouseHomey
                  HouseHomey commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for this. Love info line this.

BFlynn I’m sniper like patient with this kinda stuff. I’m locked in now just looking for other rigs to change my mind. So far none has. No deep dives on others yet.

• BFlynn
                  BFlynn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't like to rebuy stuff either.
                  I tend to over analyze on the front end.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here