Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to pull the trigger on a Baron S490 Pro IR Natural gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to pull the trigger on a Baron S490 Pro IR Natural gas

Does anyone have experience with this grill?
    So far, in gas grills, I had a Weber 2 burner about 10 years ago, and 3 years ago I bought a 4 burner Brinkmann and converted it for natural gas. The Brinkmann is literally falling apart inside and out.
    The Broil King seems to have everything I want: a rotisserie, 4 burners, stainless grates, and an IR sear burner that is supposed to hit 1700 degrees.
    Anything I should look out for? Quirks? Is there something with the same features for about the same price that is better made?

Thanks

Broil King is a great choice.

Comment

You will love it, especially that side burner if’n it’s a flame thrower/searer.

Comment

Dont have any knowledge of the cooker. Off topic keen to know how did you come on your handle Big Easy.

Comment

The Broil King is a great choice, and one I've looked at in person in the past at Lowe's a year ago - right now they don't seem to be putting much Broil King stuff on the floors in the Lowe's stores this past summer. I really liked it, but ended up holding off until I found a Weber Genesis II I liked on clearance for a lot less than the Broil King.

Funny - if you had a Weber 2 burner 10 years ago, you ought to still have it! My 2002 Weber Genesis 2-burner is still going strong, but retired for the most part, waiting to go to my daughter's house for her to grill on after her wedding next May.

Comment

• Big Easy
            Big Easy commented
            Editing a comment
            I gave the Weber away. Uneven heat. Too small. I hated it. And I couldn't convert it to Natural gas.

I was seriously looking at the Broil Kings due to their quality and price, until I lucked out on craigslist and got a steal on my Weber.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
            The Broil King is a great choice, and one I've looked at in person in the past at Lowe's a year ago - right now they don't seem to be putting much Broil King stuff on the floors in the Lowe's stores this past summer. I really liked it, but ended up holding off until I found a Weber Genesis II I liked on clearance for a lot less than the Broil King.

Funny - if you had a Weber 2 burner 10 years ago, you ought to still have it! My 2002 Weber Genesis 2-burner is still going strong, but retired for the most part, waiting to go to my daughter's house for her to grill on after her wedding next May.
            I gave that Weber 2 burner away. It was just too small for my needs, and its performance wasn't all that great. If I could have converted it to natural gas, I probably would still have it.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Understand about the size thing. For large cooks, with the Weber 2 burner I always found myself cooking in batches (burgers), or firing up both it and my Weber Performer (charcoal) side by side. With the Weber 4 burner (Genesis II E-410) I usually don't have to fire up a second grill, unless its a big party. I've had a party for 80 the past 2 years in a row, and I had every grill and smoker going for that...

Originally posted by holehogg View Post
            Dont have any knowledge of the cooker. Off topic keen to know how did you come on your handle Big Easy.
            Although I am originally from New England (think Ben & Jerry's), I spent a lot of time in New Orleans. In fact, I taught a summer class at the Loyola Graduate School of Business.
            I think the Big Easy offers the best food of any city in North America. If you come to my house for lunch or dinner, you will have that same thought as you sample the specialties of the house.
            Plus, at 6'5" tall and a former linebacker, the handle seemed to work.

Comment

• holehogg
              holehogg commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the response. The reason for my question was our SA golfer Ernie Els is known as the Big Easy and if I'm not mistaken lives in the States.
              I would count it a privilege and honour to dine at your house. I'm sure it would be an unforgettable experience. But unlucky me, distance is an obstacle :-)

Well, I have had the Broil King for almost 7 months now. I absolutely LOVE it.
            I haven't used the rotisserie, but I use the side sear burner not only to sear steaks and burgers but also to start a chimney of briquettes for the Weber kettle and the Smoky Mountain.
            The burner adjustments actually work, and the stainless grates are wonderful. I can actually broil 1/2 chickens (injected with lemon juice and covered with rub) to perfection with juicy interiors, crispy skin, and zero burning. That's a first on a gas grill for me.
            Only one complaint and it is my own fault. The Baron doesn't have illuminated dials. The Regal, at $700 more, does. Twice I left a burner on all night. Illuminated dials would have prevented that. I go outside and pass by the grill numerous times after dark, usually to let the dog sniff around and decide there is no suitable place for her to pee. I would have seen the dial all lit up. But it's natural gas, and it's cheap. I would have to leave the gas on for a year or more to justify the price difference between the two grills .

Comment

• mountainsmoker
              mountainsmoker commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the follow up.

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes - thanx for the update. Not many take the time to do it...

• BFlynn
              BFlynn commented
              Editing a comment
              I generally forget to close one of the knobs once per summer.... And kill a propane tank.

I love my Baron. Have the 5 burner model - forget the number. It's been well used and has held up for 6 years. Will easily get either 6 out of it. I've been impressed with how it's held up.

Have you put grill grates on that baby? I'd highly encourage it! At least on 2 of the 4 burners

Thank you for the follow up.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here