Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blaze 32-Inch 4-Burner F Propane Gas Grill With Rear Infrared Burner correct usage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blaze 32-Inch 4-Burner F Propane Gas Grill With Rear Infrared Burner correct usage?

Hello,

I joined the pit awhile ago but had to stop grilling due to life events so never got to contribute. I have recently gotten back into it. I have a Blaze 32 4 burner gas grill with Rear IR Burner which I love. I also just picked up the Rotisserie kit for it and am getting ready to try my first chicken on it. I am somewhat confused on how to properly use the grill with rotisserie.. I have seen some instructions indicate to use left and right main burners to obtain desired heat....the use the rear IR burner only for the first 10-15min. I have seen other instructions indicate to only use the rear IR burner and not use any of the mains. I tested and if I just use the IR Burner at max the temp where the bird would be gets to about 275. Curious what others think would be the best way? Is the Rear Burner intended to be used for the entire cook...will it cause burning due to constant IR heat?

Thanks,
    Rafael

Max Good can help I'm sure, he's the gear testing & setup guru. In the meantime, these articles may offer you some great general tips: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ill_setup.html and http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...t_cooking.html

Comment

Thanks. I read those links and did some experimenting. With Rotisserie Burner on high and right main burner on low ...I can get to around 350 near center of spit. That is temp I was planning on cooking the chicken at so hopefully will turn out nice. Looking forward to it.

Comment

I also recently acquired that same Blaze grill. I did my first rotisserie chicken a couple days ago, and I used only the rear infrared on high. When I read the review on AR, it said the rear IR was ~225 on low and ~325 On high. I didn't measure the temp at the chicken level, but I only got ~250 at the grate. After about an hour I kicked on the left and right burners as I was also grilling corn and potatoes, and that seemed to help the chicken along.

I'd recommend using the rear on high the whole cook and adjust your temp with the right and/or left burners. You will have to play around with it to get your temps right. Might do as Meathead suggests and dial this in on a dry run.

Comment

• Daddio on the Patio
          Daddio on the Patio commented
          Editing a comment
          Never mind. Looks like you already figured it out. Good luck!

Yeah I was somewhat disappointed at the temps I was seeing with just the rotisserie burner. Like you I was getting ~250-~275 near center of spit. My dry run test yesterday ...rotisserie burner on high and right main burner on low was holding pretty steady at ~350ish.

Now to pick a rotisserie chicken recipe

Comment

• bten
          bten commented
          Editing a comment
          You might want to move the probe about 2" away from the spit and closer to the back burner. That would give you a better idea of whahe bird would actually see.

Calibrating with dry runs is a good idea. With the IR back-burner only, I nailed 225°F on low and 325°F on high. For chicken you want to be at 325°F and position the bird close to the back-burner.

Comment

Originally posted by Max Good View Post
          Calibrating with dry runs is a good idea. With the IR back-burner only, I nailed 225°F on low and 325°F on high. For chicken you want to be at 325°F and position the bird close to the back-burner.
          Where in relation to the back burner did you have the probe? When I did my test I had the probe at spit level between spit and burner and could not get past ~275 with IR back burner on HIGH.

With this grill the spit seems close to the burner so the bird would be relatively close, so it seems at least on my grill I am going to need one of the other burners to help reach temp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blaze.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	387388

Comment

• Max Good
            Max Good commented
            Editing a comment
            I placed the probe right at the center on the spit. What thermometer are you using?

My Weber Summit has a little bit higher back burner then the one pictured above but an almost identical setup as shown. to be honest I never fooled with trying to figure out temperature or what not, I just fire that puppy up to high setting and let her rip. I usually get an IT doneness within an hour or so with delicious results. Just put a pan underneath and you should be good to go. Don't overthink it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here