Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rotisserie motor maintenance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotisserie motor maintenance?

My Blaze rotisserie is making a weird sound. It's still working but I'm worried about it. Do any of you do any sort of maintenance on your rotisserie motors?

I've got a cheap rotisserie motor that gets worse than no care-it's been left outside, thrown around under the grill cart, etc. It works every time I use it, which is once or twice a year. It's over 15 years old.

So, no, no maintenance on my part.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I have several rotisserie motors and just like you, I've never had to do any maintenance. Ironically, it's my most high-end rotisserie that's having an issue and it's been under a roof its entire life.

I'd pull out some screws and at least get a visual.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Donw it almost sounds like water (it's not). I'll take it off later and give it a good inspection.

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      If it has a sealed gearbox see if you can duplicate the sound when its shaft is rotated.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Donw This is the unit I have. https://www.bbqguys.com/blaze/rotiss...lz-34-rotis-ss

If you can't fix it, feature it. Music to my ears. "Here honey listen to this. It's calling out MCS."

Comment

Here's a video with sound.

When I inspected it I found that the cord was partially severed. Could a weak connection cause that symptom or is this issue just incidental? In any case, I'll rewire it and see what happens.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220816_183617.jpg Views:	0 Size:	444.2 KB ID:	1276372

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220816_183627.jpg Views:	0 Size:	668.8 KB ID:	1276373
      Last edited by Attjack; August 16, 2022, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        Incidental. Watching the rotation in the video you will see it is not smooth. At the end it hangs and then leaps forward, so most likely something is happening in the gear train. You’ll have to take a look.

Yeah - I am with Donw on this one. The wiring issue is not related to the mechanical issue. I am betting there are plastic gears in the gear box and that they are about worn out.

Comment

Thankfully unless it is within the 1 year warranty Blaze offers on their rotisserie kits, a replacement is only $70 from BBQguys.com:

https://www.bbqguys.com/blaze/waterp...SABEgK3H_D_BwE

That doesn't help with the fact that this has failed in only a couple of years since you replaced the old Spirit with the Blaze.
        Last edited by jfmorris; August 17, 2022, 07:37 AM.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I find it pretty disappointing it would wear out so quickly.

I had to replace the Weber motor and bought the motor linked below. This was 2013 and it's been going strong since then with occasional use.

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting that we both chose this motor for a replacement with another setup. Mine is also still going strong after many years too. I would verify that the Blaze shaft will fit in the drive before purchasing.

I agree, looks like bad gearbox, open it up, what do you have to loose?

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Gears? Parts that pop out? Maybe the magic smoke that makes all electronic and electrical devices work, and once you see the smoke come out, they stop working...

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here