Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

bark on or off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bark on or off

hello people, i am some what new to the pit master seen and was wondering weather anyone has an opinion about smoking with the bark on or off especially with alder. thanks in advance.

Like you know what, we all have opinions. I don't think it really matters all that much, but when I have a split that has bark on it I try to knock the bark off. If the bark does not come free, then I just use the split the way it is. Again JMHO.

Comment

I haven't used alder but on what I do use, if its loose I take it off. Otherwise in it goes.

Comment

Agreed with both previous comments. If it comes off easy great if not in the fire it goes.

Comment

I try to pop off the bark with my fingers but if it's stubborn I let it stay.

Comment

Man, I remember a heated discussion about this a year or so ago. Would love to see that thread again!
            I leave it on.

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, there were much stronger opinions about bark than I ever thought possible.

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              Whatever you do, don't ask if you pre burn your wood!

Either or for me, typically the bark has been knocked off the commercially bagged chunks I buy.
            If there is bark, figure I paid it might as well use it.

Comment

If I’m splitting my chunks up, I’ll knock off the bark while I’m at it, but if I’m throwing them on whole, I’ll leave it on after running my hand over it to knock off what was loose.

Comment

With my meat it's bark on, with my wood it's bark off.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here