Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Persimmon wood for grilling/smoking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Persimmon wood for grilling/smoking?

There's a persimmon tree available. Hurricane Sally put it on the ground and my son and I are thinking about harvesting the firewood out of it.

I think I remember it being a prized wood for smoking and grilling.

Insights and experience would be appreciated.

No personal experience, but Googling 'persimmon wood for smoking' lots of hits to other forums. Apparently it's good stuff, jump on it.

Comment

Persimmon is good stuff, and I have used chunks of it for years. Use it like you would any other fruit wood.

Comment

Used to be prized for making wooden driver heads for golf clubs.
      Not a tree found up in these parts as far as I know.

Comment

Yep, it’s a fruit wood so grab what ya can before someone else does...👍👍

Comment

Send me some!!

Comment

I cherry picked the downed tree and got a nice load of the persimmon today. I stuck with the smaller and straight stuff. My son was headed over to cut the trunk up.

It is amazing how yellow it is. It is also amazing how hard it is. This stuff is a bear to split.
            Attached Files

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
              mrteddyprincess commented
              Editing a comment
              My grandma had a persimmon tree in her backyard when I was growing up. Her persimmon pudding at Thanksgiving and Christmas was to die for. She lived in Morgantown, IN.

Good luck and let us know how you like smoking with it!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here