Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood you stock up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood you stock up?

We have no need as it is available all year round. Sold on street corners all over the city.
    "Rooikrans" (Acacia Cyclops") the best wood for live fire grilling in my opinion is from Australia.
    So is Black Wattle just as readily available also native to Australia but my preference is Rooikrans.
    At less than a $1 for a bag that weighs between 17 to 20 Kg (+- 40 pounds) it's cheap.
    I pay around $2 for a bag of 5 Kg charcoal.
    Stuey1515 is this wood something you use down under?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20200922-WA0000.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	914690 ​​​​​​​

I usually keep Cherry, Pecan and Oak splits on hand for my offset. I was watching a BBQ Youtube series and the pit masters were basically from Australia. They mentioned that Rooikrans was their wood of choice.

Comment

I have a lot of hickory trees on my property and there’s a lot of pecan and cherry trees close by so I keep a good supply of those. I’ll buy the B&B mesquite and post oak when I see it.

Comment

You bring up a good but subtle point - geographically where is in fact the holy grail to be living to live the grilling life? I've always thought that Ahumadora had it made in Argentina. I've never given down under a thought (I've been there). South Africa is now climbing in my esteem.

I keep charcoal on hand - KBB, hardwood and mesquite. I keep bags of Royal Oak lump hardwood. I've limited myself now to chunks of hickory, mesquite, apple and pecan. I've eliminated cherry. Here in the states, you have to buy it all commercially unless you're really lucky.

I don't have a pellet pooper but I do have tons of competition pellet blends that I fill smoker tubes with when doing finesse stuff, like cold-smoking cheese.

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          This Thursday is National Braai Day a public holiday that the vast majority of South Africans will be live fire grilling. Braai-ing is huge in RSA and low and slow is on the increase but has a long way to go.

holehogg I am no expert on timber, but I've never seen Wattle varieties for sale as firewood around these parts.
        Most of the 'street corner' firewood is Eucalyptus as I understand, as it is generally much more readily available in volume.

I know Ironbark, from the Eucalyptus family, is popular with a couple of the pro BBQ places near me. As a noob I'm still messing about using Mesquite & Applewood chunks I buy in plastic bags for my little COS.

JGo37 It's only in recent years that we have come to realise that the great BBQ tradition we have here is us simply cooking outside. Typically using a gas heated plate or the more adventurous stretching to grill racks.

Proper BBQ is really catching on here but it is a long way off being part of the culture.
        Last edited by Stuey1515; September 22, 2020, 10:57 PM.

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Gas grills are frowned upon here, but it's seems to be gaining in popularity.
          If it's not a live fire it's generally considered taboo. You have the radicals that say using charcoal / briquettes is cheating and not true to a Braai. I use charcoal in my kettle but refuse to use briquettes, they impart an off taste according to my pallet.

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Rooikrans is similar to mesquite according to my judgement.

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, Ecalyptus is a big fail on all accounts for me. Terrible wood to use. Yes, we many other woods here we can use. Most of it gets imported from Northern Argentina and it is all soy and grass where I am.

Dunno enough about it to debate tree species but I know that Ironbark makes for some good cooking.
        There's always a crowd at the couple of BBQ places around here that use it.

Comment

My local wood guy always has a huge pile of oak, but I always keep enough at home for at least a few long smokes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here