Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood on the Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood on the Kettle

So, I have got a new bug. I have done two smokes now, 6 hours on ribs, and 7 hours on salmon, where other then a little charcoal to get the fire going, the rest of the cook was all done by wood fire on my 22 kettle. That is a fun way to cook. If this fun lasts long, I could be in trouble, I definitely would want a Stick burner, hoping that passes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CD4B51F4-EFA4-413F-867C-AAC7E20D05A7.jpeg
Views:	177
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	909494
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2DF21996-905D-4722-B3C0-CB85B894DD83.jpeg
Views:	171
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	909495
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; September 11, 2020, 04:20 PM.

Can you give us a rough idea of how you started the logs without getting too much white smoke? I've tried grilling Santa Maria style with logs, but haven't had the nerve to tried all-wood smoking yet on my Kamado. Oh, and where are the pics?

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I will do more on it. But, I am still learning, so not sure I am to tell others yet, I will take more photos next time I do it. I will post the salmon in the topic post.

The great thing about our Pitmaster club is we’re all here to help each other.
    Sooo I am here to help you.
    Lone Star Grillz can be your one stop shop for buying the best quality BBQ smokers and grills. Reach us for all types of standard and custom options in budget.

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      That was not nice! 😀👍

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      ofelles Just trying to help a guy in need out. 😁🤔😳

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      lol

I like ur style,,,,,
    wood rules

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, it most surely do, Brother!

Be afraid............now we know!

Comment

You’re doomed. Might as well face it head on. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

Richard, that there is some Breathtakinly Beautimous lookin salmon, Brother!!!!

Splendid pics, as well!

Reckon yer usin chunks, rather than small splits? That's how I do in my kettles...

Chuck in Charlotte addin seasoned chunks this size ~ 3" chunks, bark an all, over a proper hot bed of briqs jus ain't never made enough of a puffa smoke to concern me fer a minute, an never has affected my foods... give it a whirl, but don't use hardware store chunks, git some local, seasoned split wood of choice, chop it down ~3" with a chop saw, an experiment, Brother...

One thing to bear in mind, startin out, is that th wood will burn hotter than yers or my briqs, so keep tabs on what yer kettle's a doin, as it transitions to wood coals...adjust lit amount of coals, and/or vents, as needed, to maintain kettle temps...
        Lots more tips I can drop, if'n any yall even remokely interested...

An, yeah, Richard, I have no doubt that th whole "Wantin a Stickburner Thing" will pass; That's certainly been my personal experience, Brother...lol!!!

Many Thanks fer sharin such a wonderful cook with us, Amigo!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 11, 2020, 05:35 PM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Brother! That was a fun cook, and I gave some to a neighbor, so even better.

It's like I must be stalking you, yes, I used some fairly decent size chunks, fist size to smaller depending on how I am trying to manage the fire. So much fun!

Regarding temp, I kinda planned on thinking that was the case, yet, never rose over maybe 235, I keep a tight fire. lol

I'll take your word on the stick burner urge. HA!

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          I also concur with @Mr.Bones on my experience so far, the little white puffs I have seen so far, not worrisome at all. But, I'm a newbie

Now I have to find my perforated pizza tray, see if it fits my kettles, and if so do a wood-only cook tomorrow.

That is a great cook - the fun (grudgingly) never ends... LoL

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          I did not smoke it on that pan, that was only to help bring the. In. I had a small wired rack, just so it did not fall apart on the kettle.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          start with a briq base, to git th coals goin.

Happy Pizza, we wants pics...

I really like the looks of that salmon Richard! Yum-yum.

Comment

LoneStarGrillz. SteveB already mentioned it. Just do it..... hahah oh, and ask kenrobin too - he has an LSG

nice cooks as well!

And to be nice, there is a Santa Maria grill attachment for the Weber Kettle that will help with that MCS but not as $$$$$ as the LSG, it’s pretty cool! I’d probably have already purchased it if my buddy hadn’t said we could build a few this fall.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
            Richard Chrz commented
            Editing a comment
            You did such a great sell on why I should not do this. P.s. I told my wife I was looking at $7,000 smokers today, hoping $2 - 3,000 sounds better to her in a year or two. ;D
            Last edited by Richard Chrz; September 12, 2020, 04:14 PM.

• Red Man
            Red Man commented
            Editing a comment
            Richard Chrz That’s a fantastic idea! I’m gonna use that one. Start talking to my wife about $7K smokers. In a year or two she’ll probably be happy if I settle for a $3K smoker!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here