Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Wood Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, to hand splitting. To me splitting wood is a release of tension. Whatever is causing you stress, put a picture of it on top of the wood. One hit you have pieces, tension released.

My wife started Bonsai ten years ago. When she started she had zero patience. It has been good for her.

In the picture below the rack to the right was all hand split by me. To the left is what little I cut yesterday before the rain and what I cut today. That is Marlin our latest rescue dog inspecting the wood. We look at the back yard as belonging to our three large dogs. Grass grows there at it's own risk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_160656.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	903506

Comment

Fantastic! I am jealous. I have quite the pile of oak and ash (2 of my all time universal favorites) but a pile of cherry like that would complete my personal trifecta. I forget, what cooker will you use this on?

Comment

• frigate
        frigate commented
        Editing a comment
        A KBQ.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent score, that will last you a good long time! frigate

Awesome! Nice negotiating there

Comment

as a bit of an amateur woodworker, I would be a bit torn between using that for cooking or milling some of that down and building something.

Comment

My brother cut down a cherry tree in his back yard, good thing too it was absolutely crammed with black ants.
          He thought he had fire wood for years but got it outta there that day.
          He did save me a coupla limbs cut into hock puck sized rounds for my smoker.
          Going to let them season for a year, be ready for next summer.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh man, puck-sized chunks will be ready in a month if they aren't right away, no need to wait a year! You can also speed up the seasoning by smokign them low & slow in your smoker as if they are food. 225 for 4 or 5 hrs.

Making progress. I have an electric chain saw. My battery and the battery in the chain saw both crap out about the same time. Then it is wait a few hours and wheel barrel the cut logs to the rear yard.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200907_122755.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	907162

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200907_122313.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.85 MB ID:	907163
          Last edited by frigate; September 7, 2020, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I am continuing to work on the big pile. There is a large amount of chain saw dust and some bark. I would like to use it for fire starter in my charcoal chimney. There are a lot of people on this site that know more about this than I do. Will putting the chain dust in a metal bowl under the charcoal chimney work? Or do you need a mild excellent mixed with the chain saw dust? Or is there a better way?

Name:	20200913_131806.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	910645

Name:	20200913_131624.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	910646

I know without pictures it did not happen.

Comment

Being 5'-8" 150 lbs. I do not feel my age. I am physically active with a wife 20 years younger than I am. The calendar says I am 71 years old. Also this is physical therapy as I have two compressed disks in my neck (pain in arms and balance) do things slowly for the balance and three compressed disks in my lower back (you need to lift with your legs not your back).

I finally got everything cut and stacked by all myself. Ran out of room in the back yard and had to stack some by the small pile. The two fish totes of saw dust are in my shed to totally dry out. I will be monitoring them to make sure they are not getting warm. The two fish totes in the picture don't look it but are the same size.

Name:	20200920_122631[1].jpg
Views:	144
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	913926

Name:	20200920_122718[1].jpg
Views:	142
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	913927

Name:	20200920_142953[1].jpg
Views:	145
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	913928

Comment

A job well done!

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here