Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Wood Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Wood Arrived

Somewhere on the site I said, that part of my land surveying fee for a commercial project was I wanted the cherry trees on the site for smoking. Last Monday at 11:30 AM I got a call from the property owner saying the wood cutters/chippers were on site and I needed to get there to picked up the wood. I went to the site, talked the wood cutters. I took a small pile in my pickup truck and since they had to past my house on the way home they would drop off the rest.

This is the small pile.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200828_171204.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	902711

The big pile

Name:	20200828_171319_001.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	902712

Name:	20200828_171340.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	902713

They will make a lot of 8"-10" splits for the KBQ.

Nice score, Smoke On!!!!

Comment

Sweeeeeet. And to think you’re so close to me. Almost. 😁. Well At least in the same state anyway. 🤗

Comment

Well done.

Comment

That’ll keep ya busy fer awhile.

Comment

That wood be quite a pile.

Comment

I love the smell of cherry wood smoke. But if I'm being honest, hickory, pecan and oak are all better choices for cooking woods, imho. Cherry is my go-to for the firepit, though.

Comment

Very nice. Will last you a while.

Comment

Time to zip n’ split !!!
                  Nice stuff

Comment

Loooove cherry!

Comment

I really love cherry wood with poultry.

Congrats on that haul. You've got your cutting/splitting work cut out for you. Should be a fun task, though. I'd like to try it just to experience the lumberjack vibe.

Kathryn

Comment

Gittin some good smoker wood is always a treat, ime...

Boutta ~ half hour ago, I unloaded boutta halfa Blue Belle load of some Hickory a co-worker was so kind as to gift to me...

Bout th time I went out th door to do so, well, yall, th rain finally got here...

As a country boy, Veteran, an a stormchaser, I'm summat of a connoisseur of rain types...

This was th icy cold, from just below where it would become hail, kinda rain...

I was soaked down to th skin in <60 seconds, an it took bout 15 mikes to unload th Hickory...

Still, Mission Accomplished:

I wanted to pull round back, while my yard was still drier than a popcorn fart, an git that wood chucked outta my truck...

Done.

I feel better...

Be bringin more, next week; he done dropped quite a lotta Hickory.
                        Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 29, 2020, 09:08 AM. Reason: personal lol:-p

Comment

Congrats. It looks like ya got the cherry on top, and on the bottom too.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                            I really love cherry wood with poultry.

Congrats on that haul. You've got your cutting/splitting work cut out for you. Should be a fun task, though. I'd like to try it just to experience the lumberjack vibe.

Kathryn
                            After thinking about my answer. It was to big for a comment.

One of my wife's hobbies is Bonsai Trees.She has about 80 of them. She wanted to put benches for her trees where we had piled 18" long cuts from tree work done on our property. Cut but not split oak. The wood was sitting on 6"x 6" pressure threaded wood. So I split and moved the wood to a 16' long 3' high metal rack. But I filled up the rack and had wood left over. The 6"x6""s were 2 @ 6', 2@8' and 2@10'. I put the pair of 6' at the end of the rack and that took the rest of the wood. Which we have burned in the fire place. Today we put the pair 10' long 6"x6" at the end of the of the 6' 6"x6"s and all is good.

My plan is to cut the big pile to 30" lengths and to wheel barrel it to back yard for seasoning. The little pile I will cut to length and split first.

Today I got four logs cut on the big pile before it started to rain.

Yes the lumberjack vibe is far better than the gym vibe.

Comment

That's a lot of work, but will be well worth it in the end. Good for you for not letting that wood go to waste. Are you hand splitting them?

And 80 bonsai trees! That hobby must call for a lot of patience and great pleasure at small rewards. We had one bonsai tree many years ago. I got it for my husband to see if he would enjoy tending it and maybe getting more for a hobby. He couldn't tell if the tree was growing or not, everything went so slowly with it. We gave it away to a friend when we moved. It still hadn't changed in many years.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here