Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Too Old to Burn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Too Old to Burn?

After wanting one for years, I just purchased a Lang stick burner which should arrive in a couple of months. I have a stack of old oak firewood that has been sitting outside for probably two years uncovered. It still seems solid (not rotted or corky) but has definitely turned dark and grayish in color. The bark falls off easily.

Is that wood ok to burn in a stick-burner or should you use only seasoned but not "aged" and "darkened" wood?

(I sure don't want to go to all this expense and use wood that could somehow damage my new smoker or give the food a poor taste. Thanks so much for any advice you might have!
    Attached Files

I am surely not the expert in this matter. Someone with more expertise will soon be along. But, I know the wood will burn. Shoot, I’ve seen 100 plus year old buidings go up, so I don’t figure it will damage yer cooker. Now the taste of yer food, I would suspect would be ok also, I mean what’s 2 years vs 1 year. It would seem there is not much to worry about. If I were out in the woods & makin a fire, how would ya tell how old a fallen log is & it wouldn’t matter much. Just my 2 cents. Did ‘t know if I said howdy when ya joined, so howdy.

Comment

That looks good to me. The gray color, cracks and bark coming off are good signs as long as there is no mold or rot under the bark. I actually wouldn't even attempt to burn air dried oak until it was that gray color. But you're going to want to find a way to keep it dry or it will eventually rot.
      Last edited by Steve R.; July 31, 2020, 01:57 PM.

Comment

I regularly burn hickory wood that old, an older...tastes jus fine, ya should be golden!

I do LOTS of stickburnin, but I often buy several cords at a time, plus nice folks are always bringin more.

In fact, a buddy I work with has a pickup load of hickory fer me today.

Fire that stuff up, make some great foods, enjoy, an share with others!

Comment

Thank you all for such a quick response. I hope I can return the favor if you needed something someday!

Comment

Yes, no problem at all, fire that thing up!

Comment

Another vote for using the wood you have pictured. I have about a half cord of wood that's been sitting out for 2 years, but unlike yours, it is completely ruined by Louisiana heat, humidity, and rain. It's not so much the years as the mileage, as the saying goes. : )

Comment

Oops. I saw the title and thought this was a medical topic.

Comment

• OSB
                  OSB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hear there is a little blue pill to help the old wood out.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here