Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Chunks - Purchase from where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Chunks - Purchase from where?

Good evening,

Pardon if this is an over posted subject. I’m practicing smoking on my Weber kettle, I’m out of hickory chunks, and I need more wood for different types of protein.

Would y’all recommend wood chunks from a big box store? Online? Or what?

Thanks and be safe.

I get mine from the Ace Hardware just down the road from me. 1.8 miles away. So I guess I am no help. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus 1 for Ace Hardware. They tend to have a decent variety. By me they are the only place I can ever buy oak. For apple, hickory or mesquite, Home Depot by me has very large bags for a decent price.

Naw, you helped, I should visit Ace more.

Comment

I get mine from the grocery store, right next to the charcoal.

Comment

Anywhere. Outdoor store, home improvement store, hardware store, grocery store. Likely not the liquor store, but you never know.

Comment

• marshall
          marshall commented
          Editing a comment
          I once found 3 bags of cherry wood chunks at our local clothing department store when they had there store closing.....never had any sort of grilling stuff there before, bought all 3 for like 5$

After rereading my post, and responses, I realize it sounded off. I really meant to ask if wood purchased from big box stores is better than wood purchased from other sources. Sorry, for the muddled mess!

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          I wouldn't say the big box store wood is the best, but I have had pretty good luck with B&B chunks. The pecan has become my default wood for smoking in a Weber kettle.
          Last edited by Steve R.; July 14, 2020, 08:04 PM.

The best I've found around here is from Publix Supermarket. The brand is Fire and Flavor. The box stores offerings tend to be oddly shaped and the bag contains a lot of chips and bark. The Fire and Flavor lump charcoal is also quite good (at least compared to Cowboy and/or Royal Oak which seem the most common around here).

Comment

I usually buy online from fruita wood. Their chunks are great!

Comment

Find a local wood source and cut chunks the size you need. Just be warned: those chunks will keep getting bigger until you’re running a stickburner! 🔥😎🔥

Comment

Talking to and cooking for neighbors and friends about BBQ excessively has gotten me some wood, cherry and apple from neighbors who were cutting down a tree and oak from a friend. I've bought from HD and found it satisfactory. Best score was some hickory and cherry from Mudkat at our last Va meatup.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                A little goes a long way unless you have a stick burner.

• Mudkat
                Mudkat commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah, Meatups.... remember when...

Glad you’re enjoying them HawkerXP!

Amazon carries a decent selection from Western Barbecue Products.

Comment

I used to buy bags of chunks from Home Depot or Lowes. A lot of variation in size in those. Last time I stocked up on wood chunks, it was at Academy, as they sell B&B charcoal and wood chunks. Been very happy with the B&B charcoal and chunks - I keep a selection of hickory, post oak, cherry and apple.

Comment

I go to a local landscape supply store that stocks firewood of multispeices (oak, hickory, etc) and buy a bundle there. take it home, make mini splits and then chop 'em into chunks. $15 bundle lasts me a couple years.

Comment

Fruita Wood and BBQ Supply | Fruita Wood Chunks Premium Quality BBQ Smoking wood chunks, wood for smoking, wood chunks for smoking.

Comment

You can order wood chunks online from The Woodshed in OC here:

Great selection and quality.

Comment

• TripleB
                        TripleB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you've ever been to a BBQ competition down in So. Cal, look for the woodshed tent. Their either competing and/or selling, but the young ladies they have in their booths are pretty special.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here