Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Chunks - Purchase from where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Talking to and cooking for neighbors and friends about BBQ excessively has gotten me some wood, cherry and apple from neighbors who were cutting down a tree and oak from a friend. I've bought from HD and found it satisfactory. Best score was some hickory and cherry from Mudkat at our last Va meatup.

Leave a comment:

• Santamarina
    replied
    Find a local wood source and cut chunks the size you need. Just be warned: those chunks will keep getting bigger until you’re running a stickburner! 🔥😎🔥

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    Plus 1 for Ace Hardware. They tend to have a decent variety. By me they are the only place I can ever buy oak. For apple, hickory or mesquite, Home Depot by me has very large bags for a decent price.

• Red Man
    replied
    I usually buy online from fruita wood. Their chunks are great!

Leave a comment:

• johnec00
    replied
    The best I've found around here is from Publix Supermarket. The brand is Fire and Flavor. The box stores offerings tend to be oddly shaped and the bag contains a lot of chips and bark. The Fire and Flavor lump charcoal is also quite good (at least compared to Cowboy and/or Royal Oak which seem the most common around here).

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    I wouldn't say the big box store wood is the best, but I have had pretty good luck with B&B chunks. The pecan has become my default wood for smoking in a Weber kettle.
    Last edited by Steve R.; July 14, 2020, 08:04 PM.

• glaive22
    replied
    After rereading my post, and responses, I realize it sounded off. I really meant to ask if wood purchased from big box stores is better than wood purchased from other sources. Sorry, for the muddled mess!

Leave a comment:

• JCGrill
    replied
    Anywhere. Outdoor store, home improvement store, hardware store, grocery store. Likely not the liquor store, but you never know.

Leave a comment:

• BFlynn
    replied
    I get mine from the grocery store, right next to the charcoal.

Leave a comment:

• glaive22
    replied
    Naw, you helped, I should visit Ace more.

Leave a comment:

• Jfrosty27
    replied
    I get mine from the Ace Hardware just down the road from me. 1.8 miles away. So I guess I am no help. 🤷‍♂️

Leave a comment:

• glaive22
    started a topic Wood Chunks - Purchase from where?

Wood Chunks - Purchase from where?

Good evening,

Pardon if this is an over posted subject. I’m practicing smoking on my Weber kettle, I’m out of hickory chunks, and I need more wood for different types of protein.

Would y’all recommend wood chunks from a big box store? Online? Or what?

Thanks and be safe.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here