Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

smoking wood chunks with bark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smoking wood chunks with bark

Just bought some wood chunks from an vendor online. This vendor has a good rep. for their sauces and rubs. So, I opened the bag of chunk apple wood and every single piece has tree bark on it. I am not talking a little but at least half of the circumference is tree bark. In previous readings I thought I had read that bark was to be avoided. Am i correct is that the case? If in fact this is an undesirable situation could some please recommend a source of bark-less or near so wood chunks. Many Thanks!

I cook with bark an all, stickburner, weber, whatever have ya, fer decades, with no bad effects. Ya can skin it all off, if ya want, but I personally wouldn't waste my own time doin so.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      As far as a good source fer smoker wood, I use Fruita fer stuff I cain't source locally. I've always been very pleased with their products, an customer service.
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; July 13, 2020, 09:17 AM.

• Mike99
      Mike99 commented
      Editing a comment
      These have a nice selection. Thanks

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on Fruita. They have good product. Always have a box on hand these days.

If the bark is still attached and not rotten I use it. No noticeable effect.

Comment

Yeah, unless the bark is damp (and I'm sure it's all kiln dried) I wouldn't worry about it. I would prefer to have all actual wood, though, so I might take that into consideration when it's time to reorder.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        +1 on this.

You guys are fast! Thanks to everyone!

Comment

Always delighted to be of any assistance; It's mainly what we'uns do here, help each other out, Mike.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here