Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking with wood chips vs. chunks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in China
    commented on 's reply
    It's not really a possibility...anything good is imported.

• (mr.brisket)
    replied
    Have you tried just using the wood you have available in China? When most people speak about their preferred wood source they are usually just talking about the wood that is in the greatest supply around them, here in Connecticut we have oak, hickory, maple, apple, cherry, peach, pear and birch just to name a few, but the ones I use most often are oak and hickory, because I can get my hands on them pretty easily. Experiment and have fun with what you have.

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Mesquite can be very strong. If you find you're food is "oversmoked" it could be the type of wood you're using. I recommend folks start out with Hickory or Apple.

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Chips just burn up much faster. Chips are great for shorter cooks, like say adding a handful to charcoal when doing a steak or some burgers, or for putting in a foil pouch or small dish to set overtop a gas burner or electric element. For charcoal cookers, chunks are a much better option. Chunks are often closer to being fist-sized (give or take), and they just last a lot longer.

Leave a comment:

• Lost in China
    started a topic Smoking with wood chips vs. chunks

Smoking with wood chips vs. chunks

I looked for this in the main site and didn't see anything. It seems everyone on the forum uses wood chunks, the larger the better. The article telling you how to smoke ribs assumes you're using chunks. I've only ever seen wood chips for sale at the grocery store. I have a bag of mesquite chips that I bought last time I was in the States that is going to be my supply until Christmas. What are the differences in using wood chips vs. wood chunks?

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here