Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Mold/Mildew

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Mold/Mildew

I recently bought a bag of hickory splits and I think it was simply packaged too soon or maybe for too long. As you can see there is some light mold/mildew on wood but is it safe to go ahead and use? I would think so but just wanted an opinion. After checking it with my moisture meter is showing about 35%.

Attached Files

If it were me it'd go straight into the garbage. I might be wrong but even if you trim it there's still going to be some left and on a slow smoke it's going to permeate the meat and you're going to ingest it.

Again, that's just my opinion, let's see how the experts weigh in.

Comment

To be safe I would have a fire already going so everything is incinerated immediately. If used to just start the fire some of mold or spores might be carried up with the draft before the fire is hot enough.

Comment

I don't see it on all the split sections. I'd throw in on after a finished cook to "pre burn" or just dry out / kill whatever it is.

Comment

It's fine

Comment

Light a small fire on the ground and burn the mold of each chunk for a few mins.

Comment

Here's a decent article on the topic:

Let us explain why you shouldn’t grill with moldy wood! There are too many impurities contained in bark for safe, healthy grilling of food!

Comment

If you just bought it, I would return it for an exchange. I'd open the new bag at the store, and if it is bad ask for my money back. If you can't return it, and it's only surface mold, I'd wire brush it (of course wearing a N95 mask, readily available nowhere!) and use it. Pre-burn it (I know, I know, let's not rehash that one!) if it makes you feel better. But then, I'm one who will walk under ladders, run with scissors, and drive with my arm out the window.

Comment

Thanks for all of the input, sounds like its probably not worth the risk. I thought if I used it in my KBQ it might be ok since it pulls the smoke from the bottom of the fire before going into the cooking chamber. I have already cut the splits into smaller sizes to fit my KBQ so I don't think I can return it but it wont hurt to ask.

Comment

I just bought some B&B logs through Ace. Two of the three bags have quite a bit of mold on them as well, and the bags had a strong musty/moldy smell upon opening. I will probably return it, I don't want to cook on it and for the price ($18/bag) it should be good clean dry wood IMO.
                    Last edited by Walt Dockery; April 8, 2020, 12:17 PM.

Comment

I got a truckload of oak firewood once that was covered with poison oak and had termites, I got rid of it, you should to!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here