Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type of wood?

I’m always scouting wood. Found some today. I’m getting better at deciphering wood I can smoke with, and what type I can’t.

I think I know what type of wood this is, but I’d like your take on it too.

what type of wood do you think it is?
    Attached Files

Poplar maybe. Bark is not thick enough I think to be white oak.

Comment

Boy, without the context of leaf and intact tree shape it's hard to say. That could be apple or peach or cherry/black cherry, could be aspen or popple, or poplar. Sorry I can't help you.

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish I had more context clues!! None available!

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee, why did you list them in order of what type of pies you would like from best to inedible?

It resembles a young oak of some type. I had a few small white oaks on my property line that I cut down a couple years ago. The bark is really thin like that when they are less than 12" in diameter and immature.
      Last edited by Steve R.; March 15, 2020, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m thinking oak. It’s heavy wood.

The funny thing is it looks just like two stacks I have in the back - my oak for smoking and my wife's tulip tree which is for the fireplace. The difference is in the weight. The oak is heavier than the tulip. How is the guess?

Comment

• scottranda
        scottranda commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s heavy as it should be for oak.

Young oak (but what species?) and young apple (but what species?) can look the same really, and both are very heavy. Very hard to tell. I bet it will cook your BBQ very nicely though.

Comment

Northern oak. I say this because it is on an asphalt driveway with a Tall Fescue type "cool season" turf grass. This should be a dead giveaway. I mean who has asphalt driveways.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Everyone north of Conroe

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman lol.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here