Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way of safely cutting fire wood into 6-8" pieces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way of safely cutting fire wood into 6-8" pieces?

Hey y'all! Long time no see! I'm working three jobs these days and have not been able to "Q" nearly as much as I would like. I have a source of some great cheap firewood but the problem is. the logs are too long for my fire box. I bought 15 amp sawzaw but finding a way to clamp the logs down to the work table has been difficult, not to mention dangerous! I am wanting to cut pieces down to 6"-8"in length any suggestions? Mitre saw, chop saw, will a bench vice work?

A miter saw would work great if the diameter fits, and a vice would too. I use a bow saw when my chainsaw won't work. Bow saws are cheap and avail at most any local hardware store, lightweight, arm powered and have gnarly teeth that bite through anything easily. I use it to limb trees too when I just don't feel like firing up the Stihl.

Comment

Black & Decker LLP120B 20V Max Cordless Lithium-Ion Alligator Lopper
      if you buy on line, be sure the unit comes with a battery. If it doesn't, you will need to add it to your cart.

Comment

• Drbearsec
        Drbearsec commented
        Editing a comment
        How big a logs will this do?

Make a sawbuck out of 2x4's and keep close together. Google searched images.
      Attached Files

Comment

You're welcome The Burn I would do four pieces close together as to have two on each side to support and cut in the middle. small electric chainsaw works good like the Remington pole trimmer kind .

Comment

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        I've got a table like the one in the first photo, so I'll go from it.

I saw Aaron Franklin using a radial arm saw in his videos... looked like a good idea to me.

Comment

Thanks y'all! I really appreciate it! Big cook this weekend. Two briskets, three pork shoulders, and two slabs of ribs.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here