Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you use lumber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Burn
    commented on 's reply
    I got some untreated red oak planks when we had our floor redone in the Spring. It's been great cut up as chunks and it burns pretty hot and fast so I'm thinking of using it as starter when I start to burn sticks. The amazing thing is that they just throw it away or burn it anyway.

• Henrik
    commented on 's reply
    Hey, that's what I did. I managed to secure a good stash of alder wood from floor installers. Pure, untreated wood. Burns clean and smells good.

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    That is definitely a nice wood pile. Congrats on that.

• CandySueQ
    replied
    All comes down to if a log smells stinky when you put it on the fire, take it out before it gives it up to your food! This goes for pellets too.

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    If you live near a sawmill where they cut railroad ties or barn wood that's good wood to smoke with. They mostly cut oak, ash, and most other hardwood. Plus it's hasn't been treated with anything. But I prefer cutting mine own then I know what I have. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0023.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	79973

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    CandySueQ Hmm, maybe what my local floor guy uses is untreated in this manner. I've used scrap oak pieces with great results. It was bare dry wood, smelled like wood, burnt like wood. Obviously steer clear of prefinished flooring but that's probably so obvious it doesn't need saying.

Leave a comment:

• CandySueQ
    replied
    I beg to differ with the above! We have a sawmill -- some lumber has to be shipped within 3 days before mold gets a start. It goes to the lumber processor where it gets dipped in some preservative solution. Where it will hold until it gets dryer time. Snag wood, sure, but if it smells funky don't cook with it!

Leave a comment:

• Huskee
    replied
    Yes you should be able to use scrap oak, hickory, and maple. If you know any wood floor installers or construction crews, snag it up!

Leave a comment:

• Dr ROK
    commented on 's reply
    No stupid questions here, but you may get a few stupid responses from the likes of me

• Dr ROK
    replied
    So let me ask, would oak at the lumber yard work? I can't imagine that it'd be treated with anything, but maybe I'm wrong. My electric only takes an ounce or two of wood and I can get lots of scrap oak from the local high school shop teacher.

Leave a comment:

• CandySueQ
    replied
    Not a bad question at all!

Stupid is using wood when you don't know the source and treatment. Let me tell you, sometimes when you know the source, the wood may be less than stellar. It's an agricultural product -- not standard from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• Sofa King
    replied
    Thanks for the responses. That settles it quite nicely, and I feel completely stupid for not figuring this out.
    Doh!

Leave a comment:

• CandySueQ
    replied
    BBQ wood lumber has to be treated or dried right away or stuff eats it! Problem with using it is how would you know if it's treated or dried?

Leave a comment:

• DWCowles
    replied
    Most 2x4's are made from Pine which is not good for smoking food.

Leave a comment:

• Jon Solberg
    replied
    Most building lumber is pine. That doesn't make for a very good cooking fire. Ya cant really tell if it was treated with someting. Even the not pressure treated stuff. For me, no way would I do it.
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; April 27, 2015, 10:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here