Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help from Albanian Pit Masters!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help from Albanian Pit Masters!!

Hey guys/gals,
    My buddy is Albanian and is going to make a traditional Albanian sausage (old family recipe) that he wants me to smoke for him. I wanted to see if anyone knows what wood is traditionally used in Albania to make it more authentic. My friend does not know. If anyone could help, that would be great. If not, ill just use the normal stuff I use here.

What woods does he (you) have readily available? That might hep us make a good choice for him/you.

Comment

• joeyerke
      joeyerke commented
      Editing a comment
      I have all the normal stuff. Cherry, oak, bourban barrel oak...

Albanian oak or Albanian hickory,,,,available almost world wide,,,,,
    Just kiddin’
    maybe either one

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Before I read yer second line I was thinkin Albanian Cherry wood.

I believe you have the right idea. The fact that your friend has a traditional family recipe and no idea what wood to use tells me you should just go with what you think will work best.

You are also about to prove that the type of wood you use isn't nearly as important as a lot of people think.
    Last edited by Steve R.; December 21, 2019, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• joeyerke
      joeyerke commented
      Editing a comment
      I kind of agree with you. Just knowing the ingredients of sausage (beef, pork, onion, garlic) tells me oak but I wanted to make sure. Thought his family would appreciate a little more authenticity.

I have looked all over the internet for the best answer to your question. Since the diet is closely related to the Mediterranean diet for smoking, I found that Olive and Oak wood are most commonly used. I have used both for smoking. Olive is stronger and produces a bit more oil/creosote if using splits. The branches burn clean. The closest to olive branches are cherry branches. The splits are closer to almond or walnut. Grape vine is also pretty close but it works best in a Kamado grill for smoking. In a bigger smoker it burns too quickly.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Great info! Personally I find grapevine to be stronger than I'd imagined.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee - yeah, it is weird. I have vines growing on my back fence. We prune them from time-to-time. I have thrown them in my uprights and they just burn away. Gone in an instant. In my Vision grill, I don't have to use much and they produce a pretty good smoke and a little goes a long way.

Did a quick check & it sounds like oak might be your safest bet since it’s plentiful & there are 12 kinds available in Albania. After that it sounds like maple or chestnut. 🕶

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      Chestnut is best for roasting on an open fire, I hear. Merry Christmas to you!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      12 kinds of oak, whoodathunk. Seriously though, a person cannot go wrong with oak.

Thanks everyone. I did a deep dive and found that Albania has lots of cherry trees and apple trees which they use fir smoking as well. I dont mean to get all "kumbuyah" but its awesome to see that good cooking and the right woods are shared with everyone no matter race, religion or whatever.

Comment

I would use oak or cherry, but it tis more about making sure that you are burning the wood clean. Either one will work just fine. For the most part, as long as it is a hard wood, smoke is smoke.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol @y'all ofelles I was a Ford guy when I was a kid....but reality set in and I discovered GM delivered for my personal circumstances and experiences.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee , when you were a kid I was riding a Quarter Horse to school and was wondering where all these folks with Ford Mustangs came from.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        tbob4 Lol You Old!!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here