Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do i know if its "chokecherry" wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do i know if its "chokecherry" wood?

Someone gave me some cherry wood. He said it was black cherry but wasnt for sure. it was growing there when he moved in. Initially i eliminated it on size alone but watched a video on Youtube where the guy had some huge ones as well and the bark was identical to this wood.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG951483_zpsea26lvi2.jpg
Views:	1457
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	77307
    The two biggest logs are from the monster hickory tree he had cut down. I would say the cherry tree was 14" diameters at the base. Any opinions? I guess just try it out when it is seasoned, if its good use it...lol

Anything that isn't related to pine trees and other conifers, is going to be good. I LOVE the smell of cherry wood burning.

Comment

• Pit-for-Brains
      Pit-for-Brains commented
      Editing a comment
      My concern is I have read all cherry is suitable for BBQ with the exception of choke cherry. It supposedly has a bitter taste effect on the meat. I guess its like the LynyrdSkynyrd song..".things I like,I'll try em twice." You got that right!

I would break off one of those branches and light it up and see how it goes. I didn't get my tree identification badge because 1) I can't identify trees and 2) I was never a boy scout.

Comment

• Pit-for-Brains
      Pit-for-Brains commented
      Editing a comment
      Lmao...scouts honor???

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Why not.

Looks like cherry to me also looks like it needs to season awhile

Comment

That looks like black cherry to me. Too big for chokecherry which is a small tree/shrub. On the other hand I have used chokecherry without problems. Some say too much chokecherry smoke can get bitter but I could say exactly the same thing about lots of woods especially hickory.

Comment

• Pit-for-Brains
        Pit-for-Brains commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks guys, sorry for late response. I guess I'm just being overly paranoid lol. I'm gonna use a mixture of wild cherry, pecan, and hickory tonight in the Tejas. Heavy on the cherry this time. That black cherry was super wet. Its gonna be a while before I try it.

• Pit-for-Brains
        Pit-for-Brains commented
        Editing a comment
        Fas far as being a small tree/shrub, that's what I thought. However I was curious and you tubed it and one property owner showed them small and he had some huge ones as well he identified as choke cherry. I'll try post the link when I get home to my computer.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here